Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Another Poor Showing for Dealer Services

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Grillmaster75

Grillmaster75

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationBrookfiled WI
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:14 AM

I received a 30,000 mile service email from my dealer.  I called to see what was part of the service.  Basic oil change, tire rotate and inspection of the car........... nothing more than what I call an oil change.  I asked "if the car dash says 57% oil life why would the oil change be needed?".  In the past I have asked this of the service reps in person at the dealer because the emails seemed to be on a fixed mileage schedule - change the oil based on something closer to every 5,000 miles verse what the car oil life % is saying.  They told me to follow the car readout as that takes into account your driving habits, the elements etc. I specifically asked those reps that  was I in danger of voiding any warranty if I didn't follow the email notifications and was told no, "we make sure you are up to date for all services."   Today when I called the dealer the service rep said I should change the oil otherwise I could void the warranty.

this from the owners  manual

If your information display resets prematurely or becomes inoperative, you should perform the oil change interval at six months or 5000
miles (8000 kilometers) from your last oil change. Never exceed one year or 10000 miles (16000 kilometers) between oil change intervals. 

Your vehicle is equipped with an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor that determines when you should change the engine oil based on how you use your vehicle. By using several important factors in its calculations, the monitor helps reduce the cost of owning your vehicle and reduces environmental waste at the same time. This means you do not have to remember to change the oil on a mileage-based schedule. Your vehicle lets you know when an oil change is due by displaying a message in the information display.

Another page in the owners manual lists that as a normal driver the oil change would be at between 7,500 and 10,000 miles.  So the service rep today is using an arbitrary 5,000 miles totally ignoring what the owners manual is saying.  Service intervals should be easy to follow; service reps should sing from the same hymn book.  The automated emails should not just assume it time for an oil change, they should reference the in car %.  

I'm about to write Lincoln to voice my growing frustration with the dealer services I have experienced.  

Just incredible how none of this BS ever happened with my Mercedes.  Still love the car, just hating the dealer service department, and yes I will be changing dealers as suggested on another thread.

Chris  

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:35 AM

I'm about to write Lincoln to voice my growing frustration with the dealer services I have experienced. 

Won't do any good.  Lincoln dealers are independent businesses and Ford has no say so in how they run their service department outside of warranty claims.

I suspect you just have an ignorant service mgr who doesn't understand the process rather than someone who is trying to rip you off on purpose, but you never know.

I would talk to another service mgr or their supervisor or do to the owner if necessary.   Or just find another dealer.

Just take it in when you're ready to change the oil and don't worry about their "30K mile service".

I've had dealers put stickers on the windshield saying it needed an oil change after 3K more miles. 

#3 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationOregon & Pacific NW wonderland
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion, 2012 Veloster, 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Select plus

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:44 AM

Your experience with the dealer's oil change scheme is a common scenario amongst auto services vendors. I suppose there are enough misinformed/uninformed customers to make the upselling practice profitable. Of my three vehicles, the spouse's car is the only one that is serviced by a dealer. That dealer receives a nasty review & email from me when they attempt to upsell the spouse. I personally service my other two vehicles according to schedules and products that I prefer. The other choice is to simply adhere to the OLM and feel good about it.

#4 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 951 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:57 PM

If I take my cars in for paid service (which is rare - doing it now because we're in a rental house and my tools are in storage) I just tell them what I want done which is whatever the OM calls for.   I refuse to pay $300 for a $25 oil change, $10 tire rotation and $265 worth of "inspections" or otherwise unnecessary service.

#5 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 951 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:00 PM

And yes, Lincoln dealers should be better but the truth is these are usually old dealerships/franchises that pre-date Lexus and the other newer luxury brands - and there are a lot more of them.

I've often said Lincoln should be shut down and a new brand established with new franchise agreements but that's just not feasible.

#6 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationOregon & Pacific NW wonderland
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion, 2012 Veloster, 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Select plus

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:44 PM

Just an asterisk to the OLM-when-to-change-oil issue that isn't too far off topic here.

Over the two+ years that I've owned my MKX 2.7L the OLM alerts me to an oil change at an average of ~ 8125 miles. At such times, I just reset the OLM and continue to ignore it. My DIY oil/filter changes are performed at intervals of my choice using synthetic oil.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·