Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Issues with 2016 MKX

TPU oil leak sulfur smell headlight error message

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kcrocker1954

kcrocker1954

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationState College PA
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:35 AM

Hello, Folks.  I am new to this forum, but thought it useful to describe my experiences with the MKX.  Let me state at the beginning that the car is great,  my wife loves it, but being a beta tester for a new model is always a bit of a slog.

Our first problem materialized when the car was less than one year old and the dreaded transmission oil leak where the passenger side axle enters the PTU materialized.  After 4 visits this was finally resolved.  The dealer replaced the PTU seal twice before realizing that the seal replacement was not an option for the 3.7L configuration.  The solution was to replace the PTU and the axle shaft.

A year later, another 11k miles, another transmission oil leak.  This time it was the seal on the input shaft for the PTU.  The seal was replaced yesterday.

Several other things of note.  First, the sulfur/rotten eggs smell on acceleration.  We had it big time.  It turns out that there is apparently a TSB which entails taking the rear bumper off, sealing a bunch of stuff, and replacing some vent inlets.  Time will tell if this worked.

Finally, on start-up we often got a headlight error showing up on the left instrument cluster.  Turns out that early build MKXs (ours was 7/27/15) there is an issue with the HCM.  The claim is that the reprogramming should fix this.

So, hopefully all the bugs are worked out.  But if you have any of the problems above, rest assured that you are not alone.

Edited by kcrocker1954, 18 August 2017 - 10:22 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:03 AM

Are you sure about that build date?   The 2016s didn't start production until April 2015.  

I don't recall the PTU leaks being common on the newer Edges and MKXes.  I wonder if the second one was caused by the initial ptu replacement, especially if it took them 4 tries to get it right.   You might want to try another dealer.

We have a 2016 with the 3.7 and have never had any exhaust smell.   But ours was built February 2016.

#3 OFFLINE   kcrocker1954

kcrocker1954

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:23 AM

I fixed the typo.  The build date was 7/27/15.   Sorry....

#4 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:59 AM

Hello, Folks.  I am new to this forum, but thought it useful to describe my experiences with the MKX.  Let me state at the beginning that the car is great,  my wife loves it, but being a beta tester for a new model is always a bit of a slog.

Our first problem materialized when the car was less than one year old and the dreaded transmission oil leak where the passenger side axle enters the PTU materialized.  After 4 visits this was finally resolved.  The dealer replaced the PTU seal twice before realizing that the seal replacement was not an option for the 3.7L configuration.  The solution was to replace the PTU and the axle shaft.

Several other things of note.  First, the sulfur/rotten eggs smell on acceleration.  We had it big time.  It turns out that there is apparently a TSB which entails taking the rear bumper off, sealing a bunch of stuff, and replacing some vent inlets.  Time will tell if this worked.

can you find out the TSB #

#5 OFFLINE   kcrocker1954

kcrocker1954

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:36 PM

TSB#17-0035

This is discussed a bit in the Ford Edge forum.

There have been a number of threads on the sulfur/rotten eggs/natural gas smell in newer as well as older MKXs.  It looks as if Lincoln has finally taken this problem seriously.

In terms of the local dealer, I think that they are doing the best that they can for me...when they call Lincoln, they are stuck relying on what they are told.  

Edited by kcrocker1954, 20 August 2017 - 05:39 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   kcrocker1954

kcrocker1954

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:33 AM

Ok, a follow up to my initial post.  The TSB fixed the sulfur smell.  The headlight malfunction error is gone.  No more TPU oil leaks (for now).  So far so good. :)

• VisionPilot likes this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·