Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Transmission Performance Questions & Concern

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cafpaf

cafpaf

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationPittsburgh
  • Current Vehicle:Cadillac cts
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:17 PM

I have a 2017 Reserve with the 3.7 engine and am having some concerns and questions about the performance of the transmission.  Specifically at low speeds.  When in traffic or when starting out and then having to slow immediately by taking my foot off the gas the transmission obviously downshifts.  However, in this scenario it does so with what I would describe as a thud and/or a jolt.  I have never had this occur before in all of the vehicles I have owned.  It also does this on occasion when applying the brakes while going downhill and here in southwestern PA we are always going uphill or downhill. So that is my concern.  Now here are the questions. First is anyone else experiencing this issue?  Second, does anyone know if there are adjustments that can be made to the transmission what would potentially solve the problem?  I have not discussed this as yet with the service folks, but I have the feeling that they are going to tell me that either they could not duplicate the issue or that it is operating normally.  Please feel free to weigh in.  Thanks. 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationOregon & Pacific NW wonderland
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion, 2012 Veloster, 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Select plus
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:00 PM

(1) No.

(2) Tranny adjustments can be made both mechanically & via software programming.

A test ride with a dealer service rep should be able to verify what you're experiencing and/or an assessment of your TCM (Transmission Control Module) may correct the issue if required.

Edit to #1: On one or two occasions with a cold engine just after gently accelerating forward (after backing out of my garage) and changing my mind to check my curbside mailbox, the tranny did a nearly inconspicuous thud precisely at the 1-2 shift point. I believe the tranny programming is caught at an awkward moment of sorting out conflicting upshift-downshift commands by my change of intent. I've never considered those occurrences to be an issue. 

Edited by Cosmos36, 16 June 2017 - 09:19 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   cafpaf

cafpaf

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:16 PM

Spoke with the service manager at my dealership, Benson Lincoln, here is Pittsburgh regarding the problem I am experiencing.  He tells me that this is NOMAL as the transmission is between shifts and that it is a common complaint.  He also tells me that there is nothing for Lincoln/Ford regarding reprograming at this point.  He told me to drive it some more and that if it gets worse to bring it in and they will road test it.  I don't know what that will prove if there is nothing to be done.  I have been driving a LONG time with many different vehicles and I have never experienced this issue.  I really like my vehicle, but in my experience this just does not seem normal.  This really takes the  bloom off the rose. 

#4 OFFLINE   cafpaf

cafpaf

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:24 PM

As a follow up to my earlier post, does anyone know exactly what can they check regarding the transmission operation and what adjustments, if any, can be made.  It would seem that if the transmission does not "throw and code" they will do nothing.  What exactly can they check without a code?  What can they adjust and/or reprogram?  Can they set the transmission codes back to what they were when it left the factory.  I want something done but I don't want to act like I have no idea what I am talking about when I press this problem with the dealer.  My initial plan is to have them give me a loaner for a day or a weekend to see if what I am experiencing is "normal" and if not I want to move forward with service.  Thanks for the help.

#5 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:03 PM

Sorry if I am wandering off-thread, but I ran across a good YouTube video about caring for transmissions and thought I would share it.

Edited by enigma-2, 20 June 2017 - 05:05 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   Rick65inlosangeles

Rick65inlosangeles

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX, 1986 Lincoln Mark VII, 1971 Lincoln Mark III, 1968 Mercury Park Lane Brougham
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:20 PM

I've just starting getting some strange shift patterns.  I like to call it shift-overlap, when it really isn't.

Vehicle just turned 14,000 miles so I'll report it when it's in for scheduled service.

#7 OFFLINE   cafpaf

cafpaf

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

Just a quick update for those of you who may be interested.  I had the car back to the dealership and although they found no codes, they reset the keep alive memory (what ever that is) and reset the transmission tables.  Two days in it seems to be better.  I will just have to keep an eye on it to see if it stays that way.  Keeping in mind that a little knowledge is dangerous and according to a YouTube video, it would seem that the same thing can be accomplished by disconnecting the battery for fifteen minutes or so and them warming the car up to normal temp and driving it normally (not aggressively) for about ten to fifteen minutes so that the PCM can relearn the shift points etc.  

#8 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:18 PM

As I understand it (and I'm far from being any kind of expert) is that the ECU (Engine Control Unit) uses three different types of memories.

The first is an non-volatile (permanent) memory (in the form of an EPROM) that stores the VIN, default settings for the engine and drivetrain, milage, etc.

The second is a volatile memory that's is powered only when tbe car is running. It stores only those items needed during its current trip. It goes dead and is cleared when the car is shut off.

The third type is the keep alive memory. This is powered directly from the battery.
It holds the learned transmission shift points, sensor calibrations and the like. I believe that there is also a large, perhaps 1mF capacitor, used as a backup to maintain the memory when the battery is disconnected. The capacitor is the reason you would need to keep the battery disconnected for several minutes (don't know the exact amount of time, I would imagine 15 minutes would be sufficient).

As they chose to maintain the KAM they probably did so to keep your learned settings while changing the transmission settings to the new values. This allowed you to be able to drive the car smoothly right after service.

Edited by enigma-2, 05 July 2017 - 04:23 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   cafpaf

cafpaf

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:22 AM

Thanks enigma 2.  That sort of makes sense to my limited mind.  To be clear, they reset the Keep Alive Memory.  In any case, it does seem to be better.  If I have a problem in future, I guess, I could just disconnect the battery and start over again.  

#10 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:59 AM

Good to hear all's well. Let's hope it never needs to be reset again.

#11 OFFLINE   cafpaf

cafpaf

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:40 PM

Well, I am back to having the same shift problems.  I considered disconnecting the battery, but it will go in shortly for its first oil change and I am going to ask them to do what they did in July.  Does anyone know what the process entails to reset the Keep alive memory and also reset the transmission codes?  Is this a few minutes of programming or do you think that they will just do the battery thing?

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·