Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Production Delays

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cafpaf

cafpaf

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationPittsburgh
  • Current Vehicle:Cadillac cts
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:18 AM

I got a little more information this morning regarding production delays from my MKX.  The operative word being little.  It seems that there are currently two reasons for the production delays.  One is the air bag situation.  This has slowed production in general.  The other is a problem with the Adaptive Steering which is now part of the Driver Assistance Package.  The latter is seems to be a parts availability issue.  I am told that the issue has been resolved for the Continental since they all have the Adaptive Steering.  They are being built and shipped daily.  However, there is still no resolution for the MKX.  It boils down to when parts will be available and how long it will take them to work  through the backlog that currently exists.  The Adaptive Steering thing has been going on since at least 2 Feb and still not definitive answers.  I find it very disconcerting that no one can provide me with even a clue as to when the situation will be resolved for the MKX and when my car will be scheduled into production let alone delivered to the dealer.  It is over sixty days now since the delay was initiated and if there is a plan, no one is passing it along to people like me.  Thanks for letting me rant.  I needed that.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationOregon & Pacific NW wonderland
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion, 2012 Veloster, 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Select plus
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:40 AM

The current delay in delivering MKXs is the second time since Spring 2015 that buyers who custom ordered are suffering the angst of long delivery times. The first incidence was an issue with quality and delivery times of 3-5 months. In some cases vehicles just disappeared. The present scenario is especially frustrating to buyers like yourself who perhaps timed their purchase/delivery on lease expirations. For the rest of us current owners, we're only faced with the expectation that an airbag won't deploy. Since I haven't had an accident in 54 years, I'm not too concerned. You have a greater reason for anxiety than I do. Bummer.

#3 OFFLINE   cafpaf

cafpaf

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:37 PM

I understand that every endevour has problems.  It is how the problems are addressed that makes the difference to the customer.  I simply do not understand how and why the issue is resolved with the Continental and yet there is absolutely not word on the MKX.  From the  comstomer's standpoint, it just does not pass the sensibility test. Also, I can only assume that the same problems exist for the Edge.

#4 ONLINE   NOTMY911

NOTMY911

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOttawa
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:50 PM

... I simply do not understand how and why the issue is resolved with the Continental and yet there is absolutely not word on the MKX...

Since the staring price of the Continental is almost 20% above the MKX, all resource goes to the money maker...

Edited by NOTMY911, 04 April 2017 - 04:50 PM.

"NOTMY911":  2016 MKX Reserve 102A, Ingot Silver, 3.7 AWD, Driver Assistance Pck, Technology Pck, Climate Pck, 22 Way Seats, Sync 3  

"JJ 911SC":     1983 911 Cabriolet, Grand Prix White

#5 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:21 PM

Or, stated with a slightly different slant, the Continental is a conspicuously new and greatly promoted & anticipated flagship vehicle, certainly the model Lincoln would least want to disappoint any current or potential buyer with during a generational introduction.

#6 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:22 PM

Also MKX and Edge is higher volume. Much harder to get enough parts to keep up with production and retrofits.

#7 OFFLINE   McRCN

McRCN

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationVA
  • Current Vehicle:Lexus

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:18 PM

I wanted to buy a loaded 2017 MKX over the weekend and the dealer cannot sell it due to the air bag safety recall. This pertains to all 2017 MKX vehicles built between NOV 11th and FEB 24th. Lincoln will not even allow them to used for test drives. There is no ETA for replacement air bags due to a shortage. My sales guy was able to locate a few other ones with the options I wanted in other areas, but they were all built in the same time frame and cannot be released either.

Edited by McRCN, 25 April 2017 - 10:20 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   fredluke

fredluke

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationOakville

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:30 PM

akirby is correct...

Oakville builds 1,060 MKX's and Edges a day in two 10 hr shifts when air bags are in abundance. I would guess Continental would be 250 -300/day.

They are currently working one 8 hr shift because they are being starved of airbags. What trickles in barely allows for 410 vehicles a day.

What adds to this frustration is the fact that the bags that do come available must go to the dealers and the vehicles sitting in the pen at the plant before any will be allotted to production.

#9 OFFLINE   cafpaf

cafpaf

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:34 AM

Are you sure about the MKX/Edge production numbers?  That is one vehicle every 1.13 minutes.  I have never seen this done, but that sounds like an awful lot to me.  I have nothing to base my question on other than my gut.   If accurate that is impressive.

#10 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:23 AM

I haven't researched MKX production numbers and employee shifts prior to CY 2016, but I do know that sales of MKXs in 2016 averaged 2,583 per month and 2,868 MKXs per month in QTR 1 of 2017. I suppose one could do an extrapolation of production math if the number of shifts could be confirmed.

#11 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:37 AM

Are you sure about the MKX/Edge production numbers?  That is one vehicle every 1.13 minutes.  I have never seen this done, but that sounds like an awful lot to me.  I have nothing to base my question on other than my gut.   If accurate that is impressive.

That sounds about right.  They roll off the line pretty fast.

#12 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:43 AM

I haven't researched MKX production numbers and employee shifts prior to CY 2016, but I do know that sales of MKXs in 2016 averaged 2,583 per month and 2,868 MKXs per month in QTR 1 of 2017. I suppose one could do an extrapolation of production math if the number of shifts could be confirmed.

The plant produces over 250K vehicles per year which includes Edge, MKX, Flex and MKT for both U.S. and Canada.   Edge is also being exported to other countries.

#13 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:47 AM

There were 32,558 MKXs sold in China in 2016.

#14 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:51 AM

Totally forgot they were exporting those to China.

#15 OFFLINE   McRCN

McRCN

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:41 PM

My local dealer is set to order a MKX for me on Monday. However, with delays due to airbags and adaptive steering, I am wondering if it will ever get built before the 2017 production ends. The reality is May 1st is this week, so we are running out of time production wise. The dealer has some on the lot, but all of them are ones with little or no extra options. I decided not to compromise on what I want, but the thought of waiting for months and ending up with nothing is frustrating.

#16 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:38 AM

Did the dealer do a search? They can check all dealers within a few hundred miles.

#17 OFFLINE   argulator

argulator

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City
  • Current Vehicle:2017 MKX

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:06 AM

McRCN-

I don't think you would have any problem as long as the dealer has a production slot.  I ordered a heavily optioned MKX on 2/14 that was just delivered.   10 weeks for mine rather than the dealers guestimate of 8 when I ordered.  He claimed something was snafu'ed up (other than the recall) that caused the extra couple of weeks.

#18 OFFLINE   McRCN

McRCN

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 30 April 2017 - 07:31 PM

Did the dealer do a search? They can check all dealers within a few hundred miles.

Yes, but the ones I was interested in were affected by the airbag recall and they could not be sold.

Edited by McRCN, 30 April 2017 - 07:31 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   fredluke

fredluke

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationOakville

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:09 PM

Numbers are reasonably accurate.

When I worked there many many years ago one vehicle came off the line every 53 seconds.

It takes 8 hours to build one vehicle. The saying we had in the plant was 8 hours from "box car to box car".. Parts arrive in a box car and a finished vehicle leaves 8 hours later in a box car.

If anyone ever has the opportunity to visit an auto assembly plant you will be truly amazed. The sheer timing alone will is incredible. Everything is calculated down to seconds. It takes a serious issue to stop that assembly line. If an employee gets suddenly sick or has to use the restroom, or whatever, he or she must let the section supervisor know. Your job will be replaced by a lead hand. This is a person that knows 20 - 30 assembly jobs in your station. That person jumps into your job in minutes. That same person goes up and down your station to give the workers 15-20 min breaks during a shift. The line only stops for a short lunch break, emergencies, parts issues, or engineering issues when final assembly shows a fault that is consistent. Even then they will drive the defective vehicles to the pen and have repair mechanics replace or repair the defective issue. The plant is so large they have street names inside to find your way around. They have their own hospital, fire dept, power station and trades departments to fix anything in minutes.  When the line stops due to an assembly issue you will see a barrage white coats in golf carts racing to the area to get the issue fixed. Stress is incredible! 

• mosh00 likes this

#20 OFFLINE   cafpaf

cafpaf

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:16 PM

Another quick update.  When I started this tread, I was concerned about when and if I would get the vehicle that was ordered for me on 24 January.  As it turns out, I never did.  The dealer had another vehicle on order three weeks after mine that was the same color with the same equipment as well as $740 in additional equipment that I did not order.  They sold me that vehicle at my price and I picked it up on 19 April.  Now here is the interesting part.  I was at the dealer today to have splash guards and a rear bumper protector installed and asked if they ever received the original vehicle that was order back on 24 January.  They told me that they have not received it but it is still on order and still on hold.  No one at the plant can offer an explanation that makes any sense.  Oh Well!

As an aside, my sales person told me that hey sold 39 Lincolns in April.  Considering that they are a Lincoln dealer, that is great. 

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·