Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

13 speaker Revel system - disappointed so far - suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dtlocke

dtlocke

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:Acura MDX
  • My MKX's Year:2011-2014

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:58 AM

Hi,

I have a 2016 MKX Reserve with the 13 speaker Revel upgrade - just got it a few days ago.

I like the car overall....  But I'm not liking the audio system so far - seems like it has way too much bass at the default settings.  I've tried to adjust the tone controls (and why no separate subwoofer adjustment?) & fader to limited success.  Rear seats up or down don't seem to matter much.

My source is high-bit rate audio from my phone via bluetooth.  I'm a semi-audiophile and my frame of reference is my 2012 Acura MDX with the top-end "ELS" 10 speaker system.

Anyone else with the setup care to comment or offer suggestions?

Thanks,

-Dick Locke

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:02 AM

See if you have bass boost or any other DSP settings on the phone - makes a big difference when using bluetooth.   Also try using the phone via USB.

#3 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:37 PM

Also remember that mp3 songs favor the low end and cut the top high frequency response (used in the compression scheme).

Need to go to wav (think audio CD) to get full fidelity.

Edited by enigma-2, 04 April 2017 - 12:38 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   dtlocke

dtlocke

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for the comments.  I tried some CD's today with the same results.  EQ is off on my phone & my issues are not related to the source I'm sure.

I ran a quick low frequency test using an old Stereophile disk and there's a large bump starting at 160 hz down to 80 hz or so (maybe 10 db bump)...  (200 hz is at same level as midrange.)  I know automakers do dial in a big bump there to compensate for road noise though, not just Lincoln/Revel.  I'll continue testing tomorrow with the speed compensation turned off though I don't expect that to matter.  I don't have the exact reference handy but I found an "infotainmentexperts" review that thought there was too much bass, 

#5 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 925 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:37 PM

I don't have any issues with the bass on mine.  I think I have the bass control set a +2 or thereabouts.  That goes for audio cds and mp3s. 

#6 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:54 PM

Believe I set my bass around 1 or 2+ as well (09 THX system).

Edited by enigma-2, 04 April 2017 - 09:54 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   dtlocke

dtlocke

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:41 AM

I've settled on -3 to -4 on the bass settings so as not to overdo it.  Having the cover retracted from the skylight helps brighten things up a bit!  I've decided I can live with the sound but I think the Acura MDX is better...

Edited by dtlocke, 13 April 2017 - 06:41 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 925 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:57 AM

Next time you're at the dealer see if you can try a CD in another vehicle just to make sure you don't have a problem.

#9 OFFLINE   dtlocke

dtlocke

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:17 AM

Next time you're at the dealer see if you can try a CD in another vehicle just to make sure you don't have a problem.

Good idea thanks.

What I've found is that the tonal balance is good at relatively low volumes (where the human ear is less sensitive to bass).  As the volume increases, the relative strength of the bass gets too high for my tastes.  Some sort of what used to be called loudness compensation would be very helpful here.  The equivalent of the Audyssey Dynamic EQ feature would be perfect.  So if I crank up the music I need to crank down the bass.

Pretty sure this is is a feature but not a bug but I will listen to another system while I'm at the dealer.

-Dick Locke

#10 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 925 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:34 AM

Sounds like you're more sensitive than most.  I doubt that it's designed for different bass levels at different volumes.  Maybe the 19 speaker system does that?   You'll probably have to decide which one you listen to the most and leave it there - or go halfway.

#11 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:09 AM

I've settled on -3 to -4 on the bass settings so as not to overdo it.  Having the cover retracted from the skylight helps brighten things up a bit!  I've decided I can live with the sound but I think the Acura MDX is better...

No way is MDX better, but to each its own.  Stop listening to sirius it sucks and actually sirius radio sounds better on the base stereo over the 13 speaker system.  Stream music or use cds.

#12 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 925 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:31 PM

No way is MDX better, but to each its own.  Stop listening to sirius it sucks and actually sirius radio sounds better on the base stereo over the 13 speaker system.  Stream music or use cds.

He's using CDs and high bitrate bluetooth audio, not Sirius.

#13 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln Mkx

Posted 02 May 2017 - 12:39 AM

I have the 19 speaker system. I freaking love it. Probably the best system I've ever heard. And I personally think the 13 speaker system is good enough that a casual larger couldn't tell.
  • mosh00 likes this

#14 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 925 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:08 AM

I have the 19 speaker system. I freaking love it. Probably the best system I've ever heard. And I personally think the 13 speaker system is good enough that a casual larger couldn't tell.

I think the 13 speaker system should be standard on all but the base trim package.

#15 OFFLINE   dtlocke

dtlocke

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:04 PM

Sounds like you're more sensitive than most.  I doubt that it's designed for different bass levels at different volumes.  Maybe the 19 speaker system does that?   You'll probably have to decide which one you listen to the most and leave it there - or go halfway.

Yes, my starting point when buying a car is the audio system!  But in this case I ended up with my father's car and didn't have a chance to evaluate the audio system...

-Dick L.

#16 OFFLINE   dtlocke

dtlocke

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:11 PM

Yes Sirius sucks and that's not the issue here.

I had some extended time in my Acura MDX with the top-of-the line ELS system last week.  This allowed me to focus on what's different.  The Acura is definitely much brighter (more mid & treble) than the 13 speaker revel system.  So the relatively strong bass on the Lincoln is fine for low volumes, and the Acura doesn't have quite enough bass at low levels for my tastes.  But I don't really listen at background or low levels that often.  Crank up the volume, and the bass in the Lincoln becomes overbearing.  Crank up the volume on the Acura ELS and the system balances out - bass, mid, treble are in alignment with my expectations.  (As you know, human hearing is less sensitive to bass at low volume levels.)

-Dick L.

#17 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 925 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

So if most of your listening is at high volume, adjust the bass accordingly and it should be fine.   What are we missing?

#18 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:31 PM

Yes Sirius sucks and that's not the issue here.

I had some extended time in my Acura MDX with the top-of-the line ELS system last week.  This allowed me to focus on what's different.  The Acura is definitely much brighter (more mid & treble) than the 13 speaker revel system.  So the relatively strong bass on the Lincoln is fine for low volumes, and the Acura doesn't have quite enough bass at low levels for my tastes.  But I don't really listen at background or low levels that often.  Crank up the volume, and the bass in the Lincoln becomes overbearing.  Crank up the volume on the Acura ELS and the system balances out - bass, mid, treble are in alignment with my expectations.  (As you know, human hearing is less sensitive to bass at low volume levels.)

-Dick L.

To each his own I guess but I cannot disagree with you more,.

#19 OFFLINE   dtlocke

dtlocke

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:44 AM

So if most of your listening is at high volume, adjust the bass accordingly and it should be fine.   What are we missing?

Yes, more or less.  I've settled on about -3 on the bass for typical listening levels.  Everything else is left flat though I will still play around with adding a bit of treble.  I have come to terms with the sound and I would say the I like it now with the adjustment noted.   :)

With all the hype about the Revel system (admittedly, mostly around the 19 speaker system I don't have) I am just surprised that I found it to be so bass-heavy.

#20 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 925 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 09 May 2017 - 07:46 AM

It may just be personal preference.  I don't find it to have too much bass even at high volume.  Source material also plays a part.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·