Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Compliance Recall 17C02

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cafpaf

cafpaf

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationPittsburgh
  • Current Vehicle:Cadillac cts
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:47 AM

This past Friday, I learned that my vehicle, which was ordered on 24 January, is currently NOT scheduled for production!  It's official status is listed as, "unscheduled/clean" with a production code of 01.  Ford has initiated a Safety Compliance Recall 17C02 on 2 March for over 32,000 Lincoln MKX, Continental, and Edge vehicles in the United States and Canada due to a problem with the Takata air bag.  This is not related to the problem where the initiator explodes. Rather due to the misalignment of some parts the air bag itself may not inflate properly or become detached from the module.  The vehicles in question seem to have the Driver Assistance Package and/or Adaptive Steering.  Also, according to my dealer these vehicles fall into three broad categories.  They are: vehicles that are currently in stock at the dealerships and cannot be sold due to the recall, vehicles that are currently on the road, and vehicles like mine that are currently accepted at the plant but cannot be built.  In any case we are all waiting for new parts to correct the issue.  Parts for those vehicles currently on the road are forecast for delivery late in the first quarter of 2017.  When parts will be available for those vehicles currently in dealer inventory and those waiting to be built is, as far as I know, up in the air.  I know that the dealers are not happy because that have inventory that they must pay for and are unable to sell.  As for me, I hope this resolves itself sooner rather than later as my current lease will expire in about six weeks.  Not much else that I can do except look to another brand which is something I do not want to do.  Oh well....I guess I will just have to wait it out. 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   cafpaf

cafpaf

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:47 AM

This past Friday, I learned that my vehicle, which was ordered on 24 January, is currently NOT scheduled for production!  It's official status is listed as, "unscheduled/clean" with a production code of 01.  Ford has initiated a Safety Compliance Recall 17C02 on 2 March for over 32,000 Lincoln MKX, Continental, and Edge vehicles in the United States and Canada due to a problem with the Takata air bag.  This is not related to the problem where the initiator explodes. Rather due to the misalignment of some parts the air bag itself may not inflate properly or become detached from the module.  The vehicles in question seem to have the Driver Assistance Package and/or Adaptive Steering.  Also, according to my dealer these vehicles fall into three broad categories.  They are: vehicles that are currently in stock at the dealerships and cannot be sold due to the recall, vehicles that are currently on the road, and vehicles like mine that are currently accepted at the plant but cannot be built.  In any case we are all waiting for new parts to correct the issue.  Parts for those vehicles currently on the road are forecast for delivery late in the first quarter of 2017.  When parts will be available for those vehicles currently in dealer inventory and those waiting to be built is, as far as I know, up in the air.  I know that the dealers are not happy because that have inventory that they must pay for and are unable to sell.  As for me, I hope this resolves itself sooner rather than later as my current lease will expire in about six weeks.  Not much else that I can do except look to another brand which is something I do not want to do.  Oh well....I guess I will just have to wait it out. 

#3 ONLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationOregon & Pacific NW wonderland
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion, 2012 Veloster, 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Select plus
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

Are vehicles WITHOUT Driver Assistance Package and/or Adaptive Steering exempt from the recall?

#4 OFFLINE   cafpaf

cafpaf

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

I am really not sure.  My dealer told me that it  was  because of the Driver Assistance Package that includes the Adaptive Steering for 2017 and was a separate option for 2016.

Ford's recall notice states the following: 

Affected vehicles include:

• 2016-17 Ford Edge vehicles built at Oakville Assembly Plant, Oct. 8, 2015 to Feb. 15, 2017
  • 2016-17 Lincoln MKX vehicles built at Oakville Assembly Plant, Nov. 11, 2014 to Feb. 15, 2017
  • 2017 Lincoln Continental vehicles built at Flat Rock Assembly Plant, Jan. 13, 2016 to Jan. 18, 2017

If it were not package specific, I think that it would impact almost all of the dealer's inventory and they would not be able to sell any MKX on the lot. 

#5 ONLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:36 PM

I'll check with my dealer with crossed fingers, hoping that the recall is VIN/package specific. I don't have the two packages mentioned and the fewer occasions the dealer touches my X, the happier I remain.

• CARR142 likes this

#6 OFFLINE   cafpaf

cafpaf

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 26 March 2017 - 05:59 PM

I do not know why there is a duplicate posting.  Can it be deleted?

#7 OFFLINE   NOTMY911

NOTMY911

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOttawa
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:40 PM

... They are: vehicles that are currently in stock at the dealerships and cannot be sold due to the recall...

Not limited to Lincoln.  Just went through this with the wife Mini.  Don't know how long it was on the lot but from purchase time to delivery, it was 6 weeks.  

I'm guess that since it thighs up inventory, those on the lot that are sold but "in waiting" get priority.

"NOTMY911":  2016 MKX Reserve 102A, Ingot Silver, 3.7 AWD, Driver Assistance Pck, Technology Pck, Climate Pck, 22 Way Seats, Sync 3  

"JJ 911SC":     1983 911 Cabriolet, Grand Prix White

#8 OFFLINE   NOTMY911

NOTMY911

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:49 PM

I am really not sure.  My dealer told me that it  was  because of the Driver Assistance Package that includes the Adaptive Steering for 2017 and was a separate option for 2016.

It was. But the Build and Price in Canada showed that the Adaptive Steering was part of the DAP.  

So I did not ask for it (why would I) and it was not offer to me as an option.  

I'm not bitter but they will pay for it when I get my 3rd MKX...

"NOTMY911":  2016 MKX Reserve 102A, Ingot Silver, 3.7 AWD, Driver Assistance Pck, Technology Pck, Climate Pck, 22 Way Seats, Sync 3  

"JJ 911SC":     1983 911 Cabriolet, Grand Prix White

#9 OFFLINE   cafpaf

cafpaf

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:18 PM

The build and price for 2017 in the US also shows the Adaptive Steering as part of the Drivers Assistanace Package.  It would be nice if someone out there has any information or has contacts regarding the parts situationn at Oakville that may resolve this situation.  Is there a Deep Throat our there?

#10 ONLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:14 PM

According to my dealer, the replacement parts are not expected to be available until c. August 2017.

#11 OFFLINE   cafpaf

cafpaf

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:00 AM

Cosmos36, I certainly hope that is not the case for the cars that they currently have on order and accepted in the plant or I am screwed.  If need be, I could go to the middle of June, but after that I do not know what I would do.

#12 ONLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:54 AM

Que sera sera. I had a $750 cash refund coupon from Lincoln that expired 8 days prior to delivery of my MKX while it sat in a distribution center 175 miles away. Lincoln refused to honor the coupon.

#13 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:05 AM

Que sera sera. I had a $750 cash refund coupon from Lincoln that expired 8 days prior to delivery of my MKX while it sat in a distribution center 175 miles away. Lincoln refused to honor the coupon.

I wish Ford would extend those offers to ordered vehicles and automatically give you the choice of the incentives at order time or delivery time.

#14 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:00 PM

Try contacting them and ask if they can reissue it as it went unused. Doesn't hurt to ask......

Ive done that with an expired debit card rebate. They had a procedure in place and had no problem in getting a new one.

Edited by enigma-2, 28 March 2017 - 01:02 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   fredluke

fredluke

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationOakville

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

Currently production at Oakville has been reduced to 8 hrs/day due to the Tekada shortage. The dealers are a priority so supply has been shipped to them.

The plant is scheduled to run at 8 hrs slowing production to less than half until April 28 when it will resume to full capacity when the replacement airbags arrive.

#16 OFFLINE   cafpaf

cafpaf

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:09 AM

fredluke,  thanks for the information.  It gives me hope that I will get my car certainly not later than May.  If you get any additional information would you please keep us up to speed..  In my case, I an not sure if the problem in the airbag or the Adaptive Steering.  Do you know anything about this.  Are they different or related?  Thanks again.

#17 OFFLINE   fredluke

fredluke

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationOakville

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:50 AM

carpaf,

You're welcome....

The problem is not the adaptive steering. The airbags are defective and recalled. Your vehicle may be sooner as Oakville is still producing vehicles at half production. My friend in the plant said they can only produce vehicles at the same rate as the airbag supply. He said Tekada (airbag mnfgr) also has to supply other vehicle manufacturers relating to different recalls.

My wife had her driver airbag replaced (Mustang) and has been waiting over a year now for the passenger side.

I would not like to look at Tekada's balance sheet right now!!!!

• enigma-2 likes this

#18 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

Just FYI - it's Takata.

#19 OFFLINE   fredluke

fredluke

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationOakville

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:51 PM

Thanks for the correction...

That's why I failed grade 4 and 7.  I had a beard and a mortgage in grade 8!!!!

• VisionPilot likes this

#20 ONLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:58 PM

Darn! I bought the wrong stock just because of a spelling error.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·