Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Xenon OR LED?

LED Xenon Halogen Lens 2010 MKX

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Abdullah Jackson

Abdullah Jackson

• MKX Facebook Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Middle East
  • LocationKW
  • Current Vehicle:MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:53 PM

Hi

So I went to the LED shop to swap some normal bulbs to LED ones, and the worker told me that since my 2010 MKX has projectors, it's better to move to Xenon bulbs. When I asked him about the reason, he said that projectors in general don't need LEDs (LEDs need their freedom), so it's better to install Xenon instead.

What do you think? Is he correct or not?

I, personally, don't have any problem with neither Xenon nor LED, but what he said confused me very much.

Edited by Abdullah Jackson, 19 March 2017 - 02:38 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   NOTMY911

NOTMY911

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOttawa
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:03 PM

And what is the price difference between the two options?

"NOTMY911":  2016 MKX Reserve 102A, Ingot Silver, 3.7 AWD, Driver Assistance Pck, Technology Pck, Climate Pck, 22 Way Seats, Sync 3  

"JJ 911SC":     1983 911 Cabriolet, Grand Prix White

#3 OFFLINE   Abdullah Jackson

Abdullah Jackson

• MKX Facebook Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationKW

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:04 AM

And what is the price difference between the two options?

Actually, I have no idea. I don't care that much about the price

#4 OFFLINE   NOTMY911

NOTMY911

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOttawa
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:21 AM

its a DIY project; led kit for 2010 mkx 

Some replace the fog light which you have on your 2010.

"NOTMY911":  2016 MKX Reserve 102A, Ingot Silver, 3.7 AWD, Driver Assistance Pck, Technology Pck, Climate Pck, 22 Way Seats, Sync 3  

"JJ 911SC":     1983 911 Cabriolet, Grand Prix White

#5 OFFLINE   Abdullah Jackson

Abdullah Jackson

• MKX Facebook Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationKW

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:00 PM

its a DIY project; led kit for 2010 mkx

Some replace the fog light which you have on your 2010.

Thank you for replying, but my question is: should I install Xenon instead of LED since I have projectors?

Edited by Abdullah Jackson, 19 March 2017 - 02:39 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:03 PM

Daniel stern has an excellent discussion on his website that may answer many of your questions.

http://www.danielste.../tech/tech.html

#7 OFFLINE   Abdullah Jackson

Abdullah Jackson

• MKX Facebook Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationKW

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:12 AM

Daniel stern has an excellent discussion on his website that may answer many of your questions.

http://www.danielste.../tech/tech.html

Thank you very much :)

Any more ideas? I'm still confused

#8 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 527 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:12 PM

What he's saying is the even using projector housings, the light source itself is different than what it was designed for. The LEDS have only a few points of source (as compared to a filiment). The xenon forms an arc that changes the down-street pattern. Basically, you will never get a good pattern and eliminate glare to oncoming drivers by converting to a light source not designed for it.

However if you still want to go this way, I've read several posts here and in other forums that didn't like the LED conversions as they tend to throw too much light up close and not enough down-road. (Again, they are brighter, but the projector housing were not designed for them). Note too that no OEM uses a LED light bulb installation. This stuff is all aftermarket as far as I know.

Because HID uses an arc, it's source is also shaped differently than a wire filiment. But they will do a better job of throwing light down-road. If you install a conversation, remember most are of the cheap Chinese variety and mat not be in business in a year or so. And cheap ballasts are no bargain if you have to replace it in six months.

Please do get a "professional" headlight alignment as HID conversion will change to pattern. It will benifit you and on-coming drivers. No matter how carefully you align the pattern, there is always a flare that sneaks out and hit oncoming drivers. But alignment will minimize this.

BTW, have you tried better Halagen bulbs? I was very pleased with my Phillips.

Philips H11 X-tremeVision Upgrade Headlight Bulb, 2 Pack https://www.amazon.c...a_n0x0ybRCQ9VGY

#9 OFFLINE   Abdullah Jackson

Abdullah Jackson

• MKX Facebook Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationKW

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:16 PM

What he's saying is the even using projector housings, the light source itself is different than what it was designed for. The LEDS have only a few points of source (as compared to a filiment). The xenon forms an arc that changes the down-street pattern. Basically, you will never get a good pattern and eliminate glare to oncoming drivers by converting to a light source not designed for it.

However if you still want to go this way, I've read several posts here and in other forums that didn't like the LED conversions as they tend to throw too much light up close and not enough down-road. (Again, they are brighter, but the projector housing were not designed for them). Note too that no OEM uses a LED light bulb installation. This stuff is all aftermarket as far as I know.

Because HID uses an arc, it's source is also shaped differently than a wire filiment. But they will do a better job of throwing light down-road. If you install a conversation, remember most are of the cheap Chinese variety and mat not be in business in a year or so. And cheap ballasts are no bargain if you have to replace it in six months.

Please do get a "professional" headlight alignment as HID conversion will change to pattern. It will benifit you and on-coming drivers. No matter how carefully you align the pattern, there is always a flare that sneaks out and hit oncoming drivers. But alignment will minimize this.

BTW, have you tried better Halagen bulbs? I was very pleased with my Phillips.

Philips H11 X-tremeVision Upgrade Headlight Bulb, 2 Pack https://www.amazon.c...a_n0x0ybRCQ9VGY

Thank you very much. Besides from OEM bulbs not being bright enough, the thing is that I want a nice look for my Lincoln (a luxurious car should never has any yellowish bulb), so white xenons/LEDs, maybe with a bit of blue color, can be the best look for my baby.

I did have these Philips in my mind, and I most likely will install these ones.

What I understood from what you were saying is that I should change the whole OEM headlights into aftermarket ones in order to change type of bulb, is that right?

Thank you again

#10 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 527 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:57 PM

Changing the projectors to one tuned to HID is the best approach, but very expensive. No one does this because of the cost.

Adapting aftermarket HIDS into yout OEM projectors will work ok (not perfect as there is some flare). If you go this route go with quality as there's a lot of junk on the market.

I'm happy with Phillips Halagen's. Don't recommend Silverstar's any more.

One note about light color, color nearing the blue end is harder for the eyes to see than yellow. It's focused at a different point in the eye and the blue rods are fewer in number, meaning you need more blue light as compared to yellow. HIDS are better not so much by color but by the greater amount of lumens emitted. Remember that the eyes are most sensitive to yellow-green light.

Edited by enigma-2, 22 March 2017 - 05:00 PM.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·