Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Horn chirping when locking car

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bill Boyd

Bill Boyd

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationHuntsville
  • Current Vehicle:Nissan Pathfinder
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:17 AM

I noticed on the 2017 MKX that when you lock the car using the key fob you get a chirp from the horn. Does anyone know if this might be a software update for the 2016 mkx

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:35 AM

It should only do that if you hit the button twice. Hit it once.

#3 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:37 AM

The first press of the key FOB locks the car, the second gives you an audible notification that all doors closed and the car is locked. If you get two chirps, it means you still have a door or hatch open and the car is not able to locked.

#4 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:06 AM

I noticed on the 2017 MKX that when you lock the car using the key fob you get a chirp from the horn. Does anyone know if this might be a software update for the 2016 mkx

That would be awful if that is the case. Horn chirp belongs on f150 not a mkx. No other vehicle in this class does that.

#5 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:03 AM

Now that you mention it there is a setting in the vehicle menu for audible lock alerts - check the left hand menu under vehicle->locks.

#6 OFFLINE   NOTMY911

NOTMY911

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:14 AM

Are you guys talking about the horn?  What I get is a very subdue ding.

I wish they would fix the Horn Beeping twice when I exit the door with the key in my pocket, really annoying.

"NOTMY911":  2016 MKX Reserve 102A, Ingot Silver, 3.7 AWD, Driver Assistance Pck, Technology Pck, Climate Pck, 22 Way Seats, Sync 3  

"JJ 911SC":     1983 911 Cabriolet, Grand Prix White

#7 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:39 PM

Are you guys talking about the horn?  What I get is a very subdue ding.

I wish they would fix the Horn Beeping twice when I exit the door with the key in my pocket, really annoying.

The OP said "horn chirp" so maybe that's not the actual horn honking.

Just don't close the door all the way and it won't honk at you.

#8 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:59 PM

The OP said "horn chirp" so maybe that's not the actual horn honking.

Just don't close the door all the way and it won't honk at you.

That is a huge pain but yes currently only option.

#9 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 07 February 2017 - 10:03 PM

How is not closing the door all the way a "huge pain" as opposed to a very minor inconvenience?

#10 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:33 PM

How is not closing the door all the way a "huge pain" as opposed to a very minor inconvenience?

Are you kidding? First of all why did.that stupid horn go off in such a way any decent car just has a quiet beep not horn related. If it's raining or snowing why do I even have to think about not closing the door it stupid.

#11 OFFLINE   rasfl31

rasfl31

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:58 AM

I have a 2016 MKX and it beeps when you lock it and double beeps when you unlock it. There's a setting for it in the dashboard menu. Unfortunately, the sounder that emits the beep has gone bad twice on my vehicle and the sound has become faint over time. They've had to replace the sounder to correct it... hopefully this one stays working.

#12 OFFLINE   NOTMY911

NOTMY911

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:14 AM

... I wish they would fix the Horn Beeping twice when I exit the door with the key in my pocket, really annoying.

Just another stupidity programming just like the voice control for the "Climate" having just one command.

"NOTMY911":  2016 MKX Reserve 102A, Ingot Silver, 3.7 AWD, Driver Assistance Pck, Technology Pck, Climate Pck, 22 Way Seats, Sync 3  

#13 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:31 AM

Just another stupidity programming just like the voice control for the "Climate" having just one command.

It's not stupidity it's done on purpose because of pending federal safety regulations that Ford expected so they got in front of it.  And yes, a loud chirp would be less annoying but it would also be less noticeable especially to the elderly.

"We have documented at least 19 fatalities that are specifically attributed to keyless ignition vehicles since 2009 and 25 more close calls," said Janette Fennell, founder and president of the safety group KidsAndCars.org. "As more keyless ignition vehicles are sold, we are going to see these predictable and preventable injuries and deaths increase."

#14 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:07 AM

It's not stupidity it's done on purpose because of pending federal safety regulations that Ford expected so they got in front of it.  And yes, a loud chirp would be less annoying but it would also be less noticeable especially to the elderly.

Sorry its stupid. I am not arguing that a safety feature is required I'm saying Fords implementation of it is garish, stupid, hillbilly, classless etc.  Many vehicles have a nice beep to remind you, similar the beep when you lock your car one that doesn't come from the horn.  Many cars mostly premium have that but our old Hyundai did it, our new Murano does it, my Acura did it my fathers in-law Lexus does it my dads p\Porsche does it.  Here is me in the parking lot getting something out a of trunk BEEP fuing BEEP hey everybody look at me my car makes stupid noises. Or I drop my daughter of at her day care...BEEP BEEP hey every wake the f up because I'm here with my Lincoln.

And another thing, again not arguing about the need for it, my complaint is with execution, but stating these figures does not make an argument, frankly if that was the case manual transmissions should be outlawed and if we really want to take it to the stupid level here, the car itself.  If somebody invented a car today and said hey we will put you in a 2 ton box on wheels you will be in charge of it all and we will put speed limits for you to follow somewhere between 25 mph and 80 mph.  Oh and here is the kicker, we will make all those boxes go at least 125 mph just because and no we will not regulate that so anybody can go whatever speed they want to go and yes there will be lights but we will put in in control of that because you may not want to have them on at night oh and yeah there will be radios and screens and other people allowed with you.  Ever single safety agency would tell you, you are fing nuts!  

We cannot stop human error, again not arguing for the need just the execution, simple solution make the horn default for all and allow others to change it to beep.  Oh below are some example where keyless cars are definitely not the issue.

Edited by thisguy159, 08 February 2017 - 10:09 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:00 PM

I completely agree a chirp would be nicer, but it's possible the pending federal regulatory changes will require the horn to be used.  Some other proposals require 85 dba for at least one second and a chirp may not meet that requirement.   It's an unknown right now but if you're looking at alerting a senior citizen a horn would be better.

I agree it's annoying and they could probably have used a chirp if they really wanted to but my semantics meter doesn't agree that it's "stupid".

#16 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:10 PM

I completely agree a chirp would be nicer, but it's possible the pending federal regulatory changes will require the horn to be used.  Some other proposals require 85 dba for at least one second and a chirp may not meet that requirement.   It's an unknown right now but if you're looking at alerting a senior citizen a horn would be better.

I agree it's annoying and they could probably have used a chirp if they really wanted to but my semantics meter doesn't agree that it's "stupid".

agreed...its asinine! :)

Oh there is...HB 5430: Allow voters to take “selfies” at polling places. Sponsor: Rep. Sam Singh, D-East Lansing....that doesn't mean everybody phone should be taken away now.  There is plenty of bad laws out there that I can bitch about, last thing I want to do is bitch about things that are not a laws yet. 

Edited by thisguy159, 08 February 2017 - 05:14 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   NOTMY911

NOTMY911

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:59 PM

agreed...its asinine! :)...

Well consdiently, while snow blowing, I trigger the alarm on the MKX.  

The chirps (not from the horn) that seem to be coming from the back (underneath) is about half the level of the 2 x horn sounding when you step out with the key in your pocket.

So, scare the $hit of everybody when you step out with the key but keep it discrete if someone try to break in.  Way pass asinine.

Edited by NOTMY911, 08 February 2017 - 05:59 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:31 PM

Whatever.  There are 3 simple ways to avoid the honk but if you'd rather bitch about it then go ahead.

#19 OFFLINE   NOTMY911

NOTMY911

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:33 PM

Got to have the last word...

#20 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:54 PM

Yep.