Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hardware upgrade to enable Apple Car Play

hardware upgrade apple car play

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Adam

Adam

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationEastern Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:47 AM

Ruby, which 'hub' needs replaced? The one in the forward storage compartment or the one under the armrest?

At over 100 for the part, I'm not particularly interested in enabling CarPlay but I may call my parts clerk friend and see how much he could get it for me for.

Current: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD, Reserve, Ingot Silver on Cappuccino, 21s, Luxury, Climate, Driver Assistance, Technology, Cargo Utility, Multi-contour, Adaptive Steering

Previous: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Reserve, Luxe on Ebony and 2013 MKX AWD, Elite, Ingot Silver on Light Stone

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Ruby

Ruby

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationCanada
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:11 PM

Adam,

It is the port in the forward storage compartment.

• Adam likes this

#23 OFFLINE   Jeff909

Jeff909

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Black Label

Posted 09 April 2017 - 12:34 PM

Hi All,

I just installed the upgraded USB port in my 2016 MKX and Apple Car Play works wonderfully. The part number for the new USB hub is HA1Z-19A387-A. The part cost me CDN$ 101.61 plus taxes. The installation took all of 5 minutes. There are three cables to unplug from the old hub and then reconnect to the new hub. Two of the cables are regular USB type connections while the third is a flat grey-colored multi-pin connector. Each cable has its own release mechanism.

Once you remove the old USB port you'll notice that it has a white sticker on it with a part number of PN: GA1T-14F014-AB. I'm not sure how that relates to the part number on the Ford box containing the new USB hub. You will also note that the white sticker on the new USB hub has a part number of PN: HA1T-14F014-AB. The difference between the old and new part being the GA1T changed to HA1T. I'm not sure if this is a hardware change and/or a firmware change to the circuit board in the hub.

Long story short, Apple Car Play now works!

Ruby,

Thanks for the update that the hub is available

If the part number matches except the prefix, I would assume it's the exact match, but can you confirm three points?

- LED is still white

- 1 or 2 USB ports

- Second USB port (in the arm rest) still works

Thanks

#24 OFFLINE   Ruby

Ruby

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:20 PM

Jeff 909,

YES to all three of your questions. Also, the second USB port, in the arm rest, also now supports Apple Car Play.

#25 OFFLINE   Jeff909

Jeff909

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:51 PM

Thanks, I'll use that part number and pick up a hub soon.  Appreciate the info

#26 OFFLINE   Jeff909

Jeff909

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:51 PM

Thanks, I'll use that part number and pick up a hub soon.  Appreciate the info

#27 OFFLINE   twhiffing

twhiffing

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationPickering
  • My MKX's Year:2011-2014

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:11 PM

Thank you for the great information.  I am picking up the part tomorrow.  Have done the SW upgrade already.  

The instructions are very thorough, but can you please tell me how you removed the old USB...Do you need any special tools?   I have not tried yet, just want to avoid damage.

Thanks in advance for the help

#28 OFFLINE   Ruby

Ruby

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:14 PM

I used a set of plastic trim removal tools to lift the old port. The one that I used looks like a miniature crowbar. When you get the new part, look at it carefully and you'll see that there are 5 tabs located around the sides and top of the assembly. You will also notice that there are indentations in the back side of the face plate that line up with each tab. A small flat blade screwdriver will fit in the indentation if you don't have the trim removal tools. I started with the side of the face plate that is closest to the driver's right thigh. It is also the side that has the USB symbol imprinted on the face plate. Once you've lifted that one side the other side pry out easily. Once the left side was lifted I did the top next then the bottom and the last side just pulled out without any tools. Easy peasy. If you are going to use a screwdriver you may want to put a credit card under it when you pry so that you don't marr the "felt" in the storage compartment.

Edited by Ruby, 10 April 2017 - 03:16 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   RioZavarce

RioZavarce

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPoconos
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Reserve 3.7L

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:14 AM

Last Monday, I Googled the part number Ruby provided HA1Z-19A387-A and bought the part from fordparts.store for US$55.71 plus 13.92 for shipping. I received the part on Friday. Had a little bit of a hard time pulling out the the old USB as I didn't have the right tools. Once out, I disconnected the cables; replugged them into the new USB port; and pushed the new hub back into the opening. Turned the car on and when I plugged my iPhone, magic happened. Apple Carplay came on. Remember you need to upgrade the software to version 2.2.

You will lose the temperature indicators from your Lincoln Touch home screen.

I took pictures. Since I couldn't find a way to upload them here, I uploaded them to my website.

#30 OFFLINE   orcanator

orcanator

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationOrcas Island, WA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX, AWD, 2.7, Reserve, Luxe, Hazelnut, All options except Luxury

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:41 PM

Just got software upgraded and hardware installed by the dealer. Works fine with a small learning curve. One USB in the front and the one in the rear works as well although I haven't tried it for CarPlay. Sync 3 and CarPlay each have their strengths and weaknesses. If I had to pick one it'd be Sync 3. Glad I can switch back and forth. CarPlay is supposed to support my wife's iPhone 5 but so far no luck. Voice recognition on Sync 3 seems improved. It may be that getting the most out of CarPlay is learning how to make the most of SIRI. It looks like SIRI will do a lot of the screen manipulation required by Sync 3.

#31 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationOregon & Pacific NW wonderland
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion, 2012 Veloster, 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Select plus

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:15 PM

Orca...As a three year resident of Whidbey Island NAS in the 1950s, I can attest to the fact that you live in extraordinary, beautiful country...been there many times. Is your servicing Lincoln dealer in Bellingham or Burlington?

#32 OFFLINE   orcanator

orcanator

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationOrcas Island, WA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX, AWD, 2.7, Reserve, Luxe, Hazelnut, All options except Luxury

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:19 AM

Cosmos38 - Thanks, we love it. Sure beats San Fran. We have a winter home in Arizona and I had this done down there just before we headed home. Wanted to play with it on the long drive. When I'm home I use the dealer in Bellingham. The Burlington dealer didn't respond to a request for a price on an order so they're out.
Orcas hasn't changed all that much since he 50's - kind of like time travel.
  • Cosmos36 likes this

#33 OFFLINE   markl

markl

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Premier

Posted 25 April 2017 - 08:58 PM

I wish I was having the same luck as everyone else.  I downloaded the 2.2 software and installed it on my MKX, and it supposedly completed, but after reboot it still said version 1.  Voice Recognition quit working.  Tried reinstalling, resetting to defaults, etc.  Call tech support.  They told me the 2.2 wasn't even released for the MKX yet and that I had to take it to my dealer.

Dealer told me the same thing: 2.2 wasn't out yet, and they couldn't reset it either, and now they are ordering a new module to replace mine.  Not a happy camper :(

#34 OFFLINE   NOTMY911

NOTMY911

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 26 April 2017 - 04:02 AM

... Call tech support.  They told me the 2.2 wasn't even released for the MKX yet and that I had to take it to my dealer.

Dealer told me the same thing: 2.2 wasn't out yet, and they couldn't reset it either, and now they are ordering a new module to replace mine.  Not a happy camper :(

I got mine from the Link site so why would they say it was not out yet, I don't know.  Maybe it was available for a short time only and were are their Beta tester???

"NOTMY911":  2016 MKX Reserve 102A, Ingot Silver, 3.7 AWD, Driver Assistance Pck, Technology Pck, Climate Pck, 22 Way Seats, Sync 3  

"JJ 911SC":     1983 911 Cabriolet, Grand Prix White

#35 OFFLINE   markl

markl

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:52 AM

I don't know.  Maybe because I have a non-Navigation Premier?  I go to the website and it still says 2.2 is available, but I'm gunshy at this point.

#36 OFFLINE   markl

markl

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:38 AM

The APIM is on backorder, so I have a crippled Sync system until the parts come back in.  The dealer still insists the 2.2 isn't even released yet, even though I still see it on the web site (plus everyone here seems to have downloaded with no problem).

#37 OFFLINE   RioZavarce

RioZavarce

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPoconos
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Reserve 3.7L

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:41 AM

Yes, it's available as I installed it myself. I went from version 1 to 2.2. You can try with another dealer. They obviously don't know.

#38 OFFLINE   Ninja279

Ninja279

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:2016 - MKX 2.7L, Black Label

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:57 AM

TomTom has always been my go to Nav system on my iPhone and for all that time (4+ years) TomTom has supported their maps with free upgrades.Had the carplay upgrade installed a week ago, and this morning when I opened TomTom I got a message that TomTom would no longer support updates due to the advances in apple carplay. Has anyone else seen this,or is it just a coincidence? 

#39 OFFLINE   Jeff909

Jeff909

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

So they demo'ed a new feature at CES 2017 that I think went under the radar

https://media.ford.c...dash-sygic.html

Everyone is raving over Car Play, but to honest I'm not crazy about it.  I'd like to have better maps, voice searching that works, but it's just crazy to lose temperature display, climate controls, radio, etc.  that's part of the native Sync 3 if you switch over to Car Play maps.

If you watch the video in the link I posted,  it shows them hitting the Nav button,  and having an option between Ford/Sync and this Sygic app.   

I believe Waze has come out and said they will support the SDL (Smart Device Link),  so I'd hope that when Ford releases this as a feature you could use Waze as the Nav choice.   

Hopefully they roll that feature out soon,  but in my opinion rather than using CarPlay,   if you can use Sync 3 but use third party Navigation apps,  that should bring the best of both worlds.   

#40 OFFLINE   McRCN

McRCN

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationVA
  • Current Vehicle:Lexus

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:01 PM

I am an iPhone user, but I have to admit I like using Waze too.

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hardware, upgrade, apple, car play

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·