Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hardware upgrade to enable Apple Car Play

hardware upgrade apple car play

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ruby

Ruby

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationCanada
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:18 PM

I have recently updated my syn 3 to v 2.2. I went to my dealer to purchase the hardware upgrade component, which turns out to be the USB port assembly (media hub) at the front of the console. The parts folks were not aware of a new part so they checked with Ford and were told that the part has not been released yet and there was no ETA. Is this what others have found? If not, what is the part number that is being used for the upgrade?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   mosh00

mosh00

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationIowa
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:50 AM

I have recently updated my syn 3 to v 2.2. I went to my dealer to purchase the hardware upgrade component, which turns out to be the USB port assembly (media hub) at the front of the console. The parts folks were not aware of a new part so they checked with Ford and were told that the part has not been released yet and there was no ETA. Is this what others have found? If not, what is the part number that is being used for the upgrade?

I don't have the part number with me (at work), but when I checked with my dealer on Monday, they were told by Ford that the part for the MKX is on hold with no ETA.  The parts guy doesn't know why there is a hold for the MKX hub.  According to him, hubs have been released for several of the other Ford and Lincoln models and they have been getting them in.  

2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

2.7L EcoBoost - AWD - White Platinum Metallic (Exterior) - Hazelnut (Interior) - Luxury Package - Driver Assistance Package - Technology Package - Climate Package - Cargo Utility Package - 22-Way Adjustable Seats - Trailer Tow Package - Adaptive Steering - Inflatable Rear-Seat Belts - Enhanced Security Package - 21" Premium Painted Aluminum Rims

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

#3 OFFLINE   Jeff909

Jeff909

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Black Label

Posted 01 February 2017 - 10:25 PM

The MKX has one USB up front and one in the arm rest

The ones on other posts for other cars have 2 ports in the same hub.

Does anyone know if the "other Lincolns" mentioned have USB ports in different locations like the MKX, or if they are just in the front hub ? I'm just speculating but I wonder if that's the issue. To be honest , I snake the cable out of the arm rest , It would be a bummer if only the front one would work for this update.

#4 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln Mkx
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 01 February 2017 - 11:09 PM

I've driven most of the current Lincolns and the do tends to have usb ports in different spots.

#5 OFFLINE   wbferrara

wbferrara

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Reserve
  • My MKX's Year:2011-2014

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:18 PM

From what I gather from Ford 150 forum, the replacement hub is a two-holer, but disables the other. Anyone know if this is true?

#6 OFFLINE   Jeffjas

Jeffjas

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNY

Posted 06 February 2017 - 01:03 PM

I did the install in my MKX using the hub mentioned on the F150 forum. It is a dual hub that only fit in the front console. The old hub seemed to have two cables that attached to it, one was the USB cable and the other was an extension to the outlet in the armrest. The new part accepts only one plug. Other websites talk about using the gray wire, but that didn't fit for me, only the black wire. Right now, the rear port is disabled but there are two in the front console.

#7 OFFLINE   Jeff909

Jeff909

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:43 AM

I'm not in a hurry to update the hub,  as I prefer to route the cable from the arm rest so losing that port would be a negative for me.

If the 2017 model has the correct single port hub,  that in theory would work the same,  I'm surprised no one has found that part number yet.

Any one have any luck?

#8 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln Mkx

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:07 AM

Perhaps there is a way to use some kind of splitter that would enable three ports?

#9 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 794 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

Posted 14 February 2017 - 11:10 AM

Theoretically as long as it's carplay certified.

#10 OFFLINE   Jeff909

Jeff909

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:27 PM

I stopped into a different dealer this afternoon and they were familiar with the hardware upgrade.

They said they had just received a 7 page instruction sheet for the MKC and have already updated several customers hubs.

He said they expect the hub for the MKX to come out in a week or two and to check back.

That's good news.  

• mosh00 likes this

#11 OFFLINE   RioZavarce

RioZavarce

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPoconos
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Reserve 3.7L

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:18 AM

If anyone has any release information on this, please let us know. I called today and the tech said that the part should be out any day from now.

#12 OFFLINE   mymkx2016

mymkx2016

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationIllinois
  • Current Vehicle:MKX Select 2016

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:29 PM

HI guys,

I am not tech savvy. I have MKX select 2016. The version on Sync 3 is 1.0. I live around the chicagoland area. I called the dealer today and came to know that the hardware is out but the software is still pending for version 2.2 whereas on the Lincoln owner website the Sync 3 version 2.2 is available but when i tried to update it gave the error message and is not compatible with MKX 2016. Please someone can advice. If I am missing some information and somebody already have updated the Sync 3 to version 2,2 please let me know of the instruction link. And what part number to be upgraded. I will appreciate. Thank you.

#13 OFFLINE   mymkx2016

mymkx2016

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:48 PM

HI,

Anyone with hardware upgrade and part number?

#14 OFFLINE   mymkx2016

mymkx2016

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:49 PM

If anyone has any release information on this, please let us know. I called today and the tech said that the part should be out any day from now.

Hi,

Any information regarding part number and hardware update?

#15 OFFLINE   mymkx2016

mymkx2016

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:52 PM

I stopped into a different dealer this afternoon and they were familiar with the hardware upgrade.

They said they had just received a 7 page instruction sheet for the MKC and have already updated several customers hubs.

He said they expect the hub for the MKX to come out in a week or two and to check back.

That's good news.  

Hi Jeff909,

Do you have any update on the part and hardware?

Thanks

#16 OFFLINE   RioZavarce

RioZavarce

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPoconos
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Reserve 3.7L

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:24 AM

At the beginning of February, I upgraded my infotainment software from 1 to 2.2 using their instructions online. I was having problems unzipping the software on Mac and didn't understand why it wasn't working. I unzipped it on Windows, copied the files on the USB drive and that worked. Follow their instructions. Not every instruction was right, but once you insert that USB drive with the unzipped files in it, the upgrade process runs on its own. Also, your Navigation might not work right after the upgrade. It'll take time. The next day, everything was fine.

HI guys,

I am not tech savvy. I have MKX select 2016. The version on Sync 3 is 1.0. I live around the chicagoland area. I called the dealer today and came to know that the hardware is out but the software is still pending for version 2.2 whereas on the Lincoln owner website the Sync 3 version 2.2 is available but when i tried to update it gave the error message and is not compatible with MKX 2016. Please someone can advice. If I am missing some information and somebody already have updated the Sync 3 to version 2,2 please let me know of the instruction link. And what part number to be upgraded. I will appreciate. Thank you.

#17 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 598 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:48 PM

If I remember correctly, like any software update you must reboot the system in order for the new code to be incorporated into the operating system. You do this by turning the car off and back on.

#18 OFFLINE   Jeff909

Jeff909

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:01 AM

I had called a week ago and the dealer said they still did not have any information on the MKX hub

#19 OFFLINE   mosh00

mosh00

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationIowa
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:33 AM

I stopped by my local dealership yesterday afternoon to check on the USB Hub for the 2016 MKX.  It showed available, so he ordered me one.  Should have it in the next few days. :)  Everyone who is interested in adding the CarPlay functionality may want to check with their dealers again.

Mike

• Timmer likes this

2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

2.7L EcoBoost - AWD - White Platinum Metallic (Exterior) - Hazelnut (Interior) - Luxury Package - Driver Assistance Package - Technology Package - Climate Package - Cargo Utility Package - 22-Way Adjustable Seats - Trailer Tow Package - Adaptive Steering - Inflatable Rear-Seat Belts - Enhanced Security Package - 21" Premium Painted Aluminum Rims

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

#20 OFFLINE   Ruby

Ruby

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:00 PM

Hi All,

I just installed the upgraded USB port in my 2016 MKX and Apple Car Play works wonderfully. The part number for the new USB hub is HA1Z-19A387-A. The part cost me CDN$ 101.61 plus taxes. The installation took all of 5 minutes. There are three cables to unplug from the old hub and then reconnect to the new hub. Two of the cables are regular USB type connections while the third is a flat grey-colored multi-pin connector. Each cable has its own release mechanism.

Once you remove the old USB port you'll notice that it has a white sticker on it with a part number of PN: GA1T-14F014-AB. I'm not sure how that relates to the part number on the Ford box containing the new USB hub. You will also note that the white sticker on the new USB hub has a part number of PN: HA1T-14F014-AB. The difference between the old and new part being the GA1T changed to HA1T. I'm not sure if this is a hardware change and/or a firmware change to the circuit board in the hub.

Long story short, Apple Car Play now works!

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hardware, upgrade, apple, car play

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·