Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dreaded White Car Wax Marks On MKX Plastic Trim

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   NOTMY911

NOTMY911

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOttawa
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:49 AM

Edited by NOTMY911, 24 January 2017 - 04:50 AM.

"NOTMY911":  2016 MKX Reserve 102A, Ingot Silver, 3.7 AWD, Driver Assistance Pck, Technology Pck, Climate Pck, 22 Way Seats, Sync 3  

"JJ 911SC":     1983 911 Cabriolet, Grand Prix White

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Jeff909

Jeff909

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Black Label

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:05 AM

Shifting back to preventing this issue instead of fixing it....

I applied wax from Meguiars (looks great by the way) and I was very careful and did not notice any wax immediately on the trim

After driving,  I later noticed the white residue on a lot of surfaces.... wasn't sure what happened there but I wonder if it was trapped in cracks or areas around the trim and after driving the wind blew it out?  I don't know,  but there's wax in places I don't recall accidentally applying it.   It's a lease,  but could imagine if you kept the car long term and waxed twice a year,  if those results were typical it would eventually be very bad!  

Anyone else surprised by where the residue is?  Just curious how this happened as I feel I was more careful than the results show.   

#23 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln Mkx
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:54 PM

There are lots of sealant products that don't stain trim.  I use Klasse and other polymer sealants and haven't had a single problem. 

The typical stuff folk get at Pep boys, like the standard Meguiars and Mothers paste waxes are way more likely to cause problems.

#24 OFFLINE   CARR142

CARR142

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationCHERRY HILL, NJ
  • Current Vehicle:kona blue MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2011-2014

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:00 PM

This is what I did: bought a black wax kit and covered the white wax reside, I can't see any reside now. Best wishes with your decision.

#25 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:30 PM

But it smell good...

Only if the bacon's cooked.

Is it the thinking that the original product "bleached" the plastic trim?

#26 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationOregon & Pacific NW wonderland
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion, 2012 Veloster, 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Select plus

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:18 PM

In my post #10 above, I mentioned that I was going to try the Mr Clean Magic Eraser product to address the topic of this thread. I'll summarize by stating that it works, simply and easily. However, the 'Magic' in the product's name came to be understood only with some research and an appreciation of the product's technology. After all, an examination of the product reveals only that it's a small rectangular piece of white foam with no odor or any other characteristic at all. Following directions, you simply dampen it with water and swipe repeatedly with light pressure on your cladding and the dreaded dried white wax residue soon disappears. Viola...your cladding appears like new again.

It does seem like magic until you understand the nature of the product. Researching Wikipeda and numerous other sources (including the manufacturer's (BASF) website), the product was found to be a nanotech form of Melamine aka glass blended with some bonding agents (embalming fluid rendered chemically nontoxic) into a pliable foam that functions as a scouring source much akin to using a tooth brush.

In my analysis earlier in this thread, I concluded that some form of labor and friction (e.g. tooth brush) was the solution to dried wax residue on cladding vis-a-vis the oft recommended cooking oils, blacking agents, peanut butter, etc. etc. that did nothing more than mask the wax residue, not remove it, requiring periodic attempts at a solution.

In my recent experience using the Mr Clean product, I started with a hand washed clean MKX, gently worked the wax residue off the cladding (doing the entire cladding to encourage a uniform coloration), and rinsed the cladding with ample water and a cotton rag. Since I didn't take any initial precautions to avoid some over-wipe of painted surfaces, I inspected adjoining painted surfaces to see if the nano-abrasion of the product inflicted any damage. It didn't, but I will exercise caution in any further detailing.

PS...a buyer can avoid paying the Mr Clean retail product price by shopping eBay, Amazon, etc. for the precisely same Melamine product (BASF Basotect) from other sources.

Edited by Cosmos36, 04 April 2017 - 10:26 PM.

• VisionPilot and mfam16 like this

#27 OFFLINE   fredluke

fredluke

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationOakville

Posted 05 April 2017 - 08:07 PM

Thanks cosmos for that post.

Your detailed explanation relating to the product and its process is very interesting.

I will take your suggestion and try the product myself. 

#28 OFFLINE   fredluke

fredluke

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationOakville

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:34 AM

Well well!

Hats off to Cosmos...

I did exactly what his post suggested and I am amazed. The white residue has yet to return. 

So easy and great results. I was so excited I told my sons about my secret discovery (sorry... Cosmos' discovery) and I was abruptly told that I was too late. We have an electrical contracting business and my sons said every van always has at least one Magic Eraser on hand. They said it is used for a multitude of applications but mostly for residential ceilings. When they install recessed lighting they usually get finger prints and dirt on the ceilings. The ceilings are usually finished in flat latex paint. He said you can never properly clean ceilings painted with white flat ceiling paints.  Using the Magic Eraser cleans all grease, dirt, and finger prints effortlessly.

Great post by Cosmos. 

• Cosmos36 and Timmer like this

#29 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:01 AM

With testimonials like that, I'm sure my Proctor-Gamble stocks will soon be on a tear.

Thanks, Fred.

• Timmer likes this

#30 OFFLINE   JOEHIO

JOEHIO

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNorthern NJ
  • Current Vehicle:'16 MKX (AWD) & '15 MKS (AWD)
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:35 PM

OMG, NEVER use a scrubby on ANY part of the car, especially paint. Same goes for Dawn.  WD-40 works for me, and what's even better is to be more careful when applying wax &n or polishes.

#31 OFFLINE   fredluke

fredluke

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationOakville

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:51 AM

I think the polyethylene or plastic cladding on vehicles is designed to resist, oil, grease, ice, snow, road salt, stones and whatever else the road can kick up.

I don't think the Magic Eraser can do worse!!!

#32 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:28 PM

Agreed...the Magic Eraser's soft nanotech foam (containing no active ingredient) is likely to inflict less physical effect to the cladding than wiping with a rag, certainly less than using a toothbrush.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·