Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dreaded White Car Wax Marks On MKX Plastic Trim

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Timmer

Timmer

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Reserve 3.7L AWD
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:40 AM

Yesterday morning I detailed my MKX using a bucket of hot water with a little Dawn dish soap in it, a "Dobie" kitchen scrub pad, a few old washcloths, etc.

My goal was to remove road salt, dirt, dust that remained on door jambs, the rear hatch, wheels, etc. from my recent cross-country road trip.

I also tried without success to remove the white car polish residue that had gotten on the plastic trim when I first "waxed" the car with Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax. (Meguiar part # G18211.)  According to the packaging, it is a "pure synthetic polymer hydrophobic wax."

Drat! - After several attempts and scrubbing pretty hard with both the "Dobie" pad and washcloths. the white wax marks didn't come off. They reappeared after the areas dried.  Almost like I hadn't tried to remove it...

Well, lesson learned... I should have been more careful when waxing, or used a different product.

Does anyone have any techniques or product suggestions that will better work in removing the dreaded white "car wax" marks from the MKX's plastic trim?

Thanks,

Timmer

Edited by Timmer, 11 January 2017 - 11:27 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fredluke

fredluke

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOakville
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:03 AM

It is a common problem.

I have researched and tried different products to remove that white residue. Trust me there is no easy fix. All the products out there that claim to remove the wax such as "plastic trim restorers" , "Back to Black", "Revitalizers"  etc. only work temporarily, maybe a month or so.

After speaking to a local auto detailing company was I able to obtain the true fix. It's simple but requires some elbow grease.

Use an all purpose cleaner and a detailing brush. It works!!

• Timmer likes this

#3 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:21 AM

The stiff brush is the key - it gets down into the grain of the plastic whereas a cloth won't.   I would imagine you could also use barkeeper's friend with the brush.

• Timmer likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 922 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationOregon & Pacific NW wonderland
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion, 2012 Veloster, 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Select plus

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:52 AM

All of the products I've used only work for a short while, the reason is simple as attested above. They're just cover ups, not removers. I'll invest the elbow grease during my summer detailing.

BTW, I tried a recommended product just out of curiosity, knowing the 'chemistry' of why some people promoted the product & disbelieving the claims of longevity. Try it...it's cheaper than auto store products and works just as well. It's labeled SKIPPY Creamy Peanut Butter. After a trial treatment, the neighborhood squirrels went into ecstasy over my MKX.

• punch-card likes this

#5 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 925 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:49 PM

WD-40 or plain vegetable oil would work the same way.  It's the oil in the peanut butter.  

#6 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln Mkx
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:13 PM

Yesterday morning I detailed my MKX using a bucket of hot water with a little Dawn dish soap in it, a "Dobie" kitchen scrub pad, a few old washcloths, etc.

My goal was to remove road salt, dirt, dust that remained on door jambs, the rear hatch, wheels, etc. from my recent cross-country road trip.

I also tried without success to remove the white car polish residue that had gotten on the plastic trim when I first "waxed" the car with Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax. (Meguiar part # G18211.)  According to the packaging, it is a "pure synthetic polymer hydrophobic wax."

Drat! - After several attempts and scrubbing pretty hard with both the "Dobie" pad and washcloths. the white wax marks didn't come off. They reappeared after the areas dried.  Almost like I hadn't tried to remove it...

Well, lesson learned... I should have been more careful when waxing, or used a different product.

Does anyone have any techniques or product suggestions that will better work in removing the dreaded white "car wax" marks from the MKX's plastic trim?

Thanks,

Timmer

I would never recommend using Dawn on a car.  I know that some folk recommend using before a wax (to remove existing wax) but that stuff tends to be very hard on the plastic and rubber gaskets.  Use a real car wash soap, like Meg Gold Class (which isn't really an more expensive than Dawn anyway).

Also, a kitchen scrub pad is a prescription for swirl marks.

To remove wax residue, you might try a dedicated product.  Here is a site with good products and some helpful information: 

http://www.autogeek....ax-remover.html

autopia is another place where you can get some information.

The first step though should be going over the parts of the car where there is a problem with a clay bar, and a good cleaning product (like Klasse all-in-one).  You can get a high quality clay bar (like Mother's) at your local Pep Boys. 

The stuff you used is a polymer sealant, not a true wax.  Its good stuff, in general, but it can stain trim. 

• Cosmos36 and thisguy159 like this

#7 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 925 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:30 PM

Use a real car wash soap, like Meg Gold Class (which isn't really an more expensive than Dawn anyway).

And it smells absolutely fantastic!

#8 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 04:52 PM

After showering with it, I always get compliments from friends & acquaintances.

Also, I've been using Meg's Gold Class car wash for many years on all the vehicles in my stable. The only vehicle that I ever polish/wax (once annually because it's not garaged) looks as new as my garaged vehicles washed exclusively with Meg's. I catch the gallon jugs on sale at Costco for value pricing.

Edited by Cosmos36, 11 January 2017 - 04:53 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   mfam16

mfam16

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth East

Posted 11 January 2017 - 05:46 PM

Also try mineral oil on the plastic trim and you should have good success. I had the same problem when the X cam back from a Permaplate application by the dealer (I know its more hype than anything but I only got it for the warranty) On both our X had the white marks on plastic trims   

#10 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:13 PM

To my knowledge there is no product that you can just wipe on and the wax residue permanently disappears...either you use a product that (1) masks the residue and requires repeated applications over future weeks/months or (2) removes the residue permanently with no future attention required. IMO, the latter would be the favored solution, however also IMO and experience, that solution will require attacking the residue with some physical approach, e.g. a toothbrush laboriously applied.

Over many years, I have yet to find a product that provides complete removal of the residue with just a simple one-wipe application. Some claim that Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will do that. I'm a skeptic, but it's next on my list of possible approaches that will avoid the labor of using a brush. If it fails, I'm back to being convinced that all recommendations commonly presented are of the temporary masking type and I'll set aside a warm afternoon of doing the job with a toothbrush and some cleaning product.

#11 OFFLINE   LinkedMe

LinkedMe

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationChicago area
  • Current Vehicle:MKX Reserve

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:20 AM

Try this........ http://www.autogeek....er-plastic.html

#12 OFFLINE   fredluke

fredluke

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationOakville

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:07 PM

I have used:

Back to Black

Black Wow

Alcohol

Wipe New

They all work great until about the 4th car wash and the white residue appears once more. I'm sure there is a product out there that removes it permanently but I haven't found it.

As I said in an earlier post... I took a stiff brush and car wash soap and scrubbed until I had a Mickey Mouse hand. It worked!!!

#13 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:41 PM

What about clay bar? Over the years, a good clay bar has solved many of my problems (at least problems with my car's finish.  I'd like to clay bar some of my colleagues or my students, but that would probably have negative implications). 

• punch-card and mosh00 like this

#14 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 925 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:03 PM

Not sure if the clay would work on plastic but it sure won't hurt to try it. And I would love to use a clay bar on some of my coworkers - placed firmly and fully in their mouths.....

#15 OFFLINE   Rick65inlosangeles

Rick65inlosangeles

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX, 1986 Lincoln Mark VII, 1971 Lincoln Mark III, 1968 Mercury Park Lane Brougham

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:32 PM

Had this same problem with my Ford Explorers & 2010 MKX that had “non-painted” body colored molded plastic trip. Learnt this from a Beverly Hills car detailer friend, a little lacquer thinner or brake clean on a rag will take it off.  NOW, I always cover the trim with blue masking tape before I do any polishing.

#16 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:18 PM

IMO, caution should be exercised before using solvent-type products on plastic. For example, chlorinated brake parts cleaner contains paint stripper (methylene chloride) and dry cleaning fluid (perchloroethylene). Besides toxicity & flammability, I would be hesitant to apply to the MKX's cladding unless applied to a miniscule out-of-sight test area. I would also be aware that chlorinated brake parts cleaners have been banned in California.

#17 OFFLINE   CARR142

CARR142

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationCHERRY HILL, NJ
  • Current Vehicle:kona blue MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2011-2014

Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:02 PM

"Prep-sol", made by Dupont.

#18 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:59 AM

IMO, caution should be exercised before using solvent-type products on plastic. For example, chlorinated brake parts cleaner contains paint stripper (methylene chloride) and dry cleaning fluid (perchloroethylene). Besides toxicity & flammability, I would be hesitant to apply to the MKX's cladding unless applied to a miniscule out-of-sight test area. I would also be aware that chlorinated brake parts cleaners have been banned in California.

I totally agree with all of this.

#19 OFFLINE   fredluke

fredluke

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationOakville

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:40 PM

Thanks for the link...

Not to be a skeptic but that products description, as do all the rest leave out one important sentence...

"After using our product the wax residue will not re-appear"

Rubbing alcohol, WD40, Back to Black, Trim Restorer, Wipe New, Renu, even Canadian Maple Syrup applied with back bacon only work for 1-2 months. All they do is mask the problem.

#20 OFFLINE   NOTMY911

NOTMY911

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:48 AM

... even Canadian Maple Syrup applied with back bacon only work for 1-2 months. All they do is mask the problem.

But it smell good... 

Edited by NOTMY911, 24 January 2017 - 04:50 AM.

"NOTMY911":  2016 MKX Reserve 102A, Ingot Silver, 3.7 AWD, Driver Assistance Pck, Technology Pck, Climate Pck, 22 Way Seats, Sync 3  

"JJ 911SC":     1983 911 Cabriolet, Grand Prix White

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·