Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Using FORScan to 'tweak' the X

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mfam16

mfam16

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth East
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:34 AM

Tilt down mirrors limit field of view. Also on we had a BMW with tilt option. Passenger side mirror already became "stuck" by not properly managing accurate tile.
I'll stick with the 360 as it is more than sufficient for me, however, customizations is what makes options feasible for some who prefer it.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:34 AM

No I don't think it had anything to do with the 360 camera.  They did the same thing with selectshift that first appeared on the 99 Lincoln LS then disappeared for a few years.  I think it just wasn't a priority with the development team.   This is where I wish Ford/Lincoln would standardize more of these types of features so it's not left up to the individual teams.  I think they're doing better now but not quite where they should be.

#23 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln Mkx
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:37 PM

Tilt down mirrors limit field of view. Also on we had a BMW with tilt option. Passenger side mirror already became "stuck" by not properly managing accurate tile.
I'll stick with the 360 as it is more than sufficient for me, however, customizations is what makes options feasible for some who prefer it.

I had the tilt down mirror on the my 328i.  Never had a problem with it and found it insanely useful.

The 360 camera is pretty useless for parking.  Its got that weird rectangular frame around the entire car, and you can't make out curbs when parking. 

#24 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 831 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:38 PM

The 360 camera is pretty useless for parking.  Its got that weird rectangular frame around the entire car, and you can't make out curbs when parking. 

Really?  I'll have to double check but I thought the curbs were plainly visible.

#25 OFFLINE   mosh00

mosh00

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationIowa
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:32 PM

I had the tilt down mirror on the my 328i.  Never had a problem with it and found it insanely useful.

Totally agree with your comment about the frame and not seeing the curb.  I have totally given up on using the 360 camera.  I'd like there to be enough detail so that I could see my wheels and how close I am so that I don't scuff them against the curb.  At least with my MKX, I can't do that.

2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

2.7L EcoBoost - AWD - White Platinum Metallic (Exterior) - Hazelnut (Interior) - Luxury Package - Driver Assistance Package - Technology Package - Climate Package - Cargo Utility Package - 22-Way Adjustable Seats - Trailer Tow Package - Adaptive Steering - Inflatable Rear-Seat Belts - Enhanced Security Package - 21" Premium Painted Aluminum Rims

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

#26 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 831 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:39 PM

I use it to see where I'm at relative to other cars, the edge of the driveway and parking spot lines.  I'll have to check the curb visibility.

#27 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:48 PM

Totally agree with your comment about the frame and not seeing the curb.  I have totally given up on using the 360 camera.  I'd like there to be enough detail so that I could see my wheels and how close I am so that I don't scuff them against the curb.  At least with my MKX, I can't do that.

I still think it is valuable.  You just can't count on it giving detail real close to the car, which is what you need for parking near a curb.  

#28 OFFLINE   mfam16

mfam16

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSouth East

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:02 PM

Our 325i was the car which had the problem. In addition the tilt of the mirror will always give lesser field of view.

As for the 360 I have no issues with and find it extremely useful. Granted I might not be able to see the curb but if you use the yellow lines around vehicle image, then you can gauge your vehicles relation to the curb. Inside there yellow lines there is a gray area. Essentially if your are in the gray zone, then your ok.

Edited by mfam16, 13 December 2016 - 01:10 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:05 PM

The tilt doesn't give the lessor view at all.  It gives you a crystal clear view of the wheel and the curb.  Can't say the same for the 360 view. 

#30 OFFLINE   mfam16

mfam16

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSouth East

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:58 PM

The tilt doesn't give the lessor view at all. It gives you a crystal clear view of the wheel and the curb. Can't say the same for the 360 view.

Walk your missing the main point. It's simple optics and refractory. Angeling and tilting the mirror reduces field of view. Whether your aware of it or not, it happens.

Try my suggestion about the yellow lines and grey zone. I've parked near many curbs without any issues. That said, just because I have no issues doesn't mean no one else will. If your preference is tilt, then maybe you should consider the mod.

#31 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 831 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:36 AM

The point was you can only see the ground when it tilts and you lose the ability to see farther behind the vehicle.  Which is true but you still have the camera.

Perhaps there should be an option to show you a more detailed side view using the side cameras instead of the 360 view when in Reverse.  So you'd get the rear camera view, then a more detailed left and ride side view.

#32 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:46 AM

You use the tilt when you are parking, and that's it. The sideview mirror doesn't offer anything but a view of the sidewalk at that point. So,I don't get what info is being lost.

I don't agree with the gray area idea either. That always leaves me too far from the curve. Personally rather than seeing a gray area, I'd rather actually see the curb and the tire.

#33 OFFLINE   mfam16

mfam16

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSouth East

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:24 AM

It's all on what we get use to. If you use info such as the gray zone and pic of car and perfect your acceptable distance, then you'll have no issues.

If it's that important to have tilt, then make the mods.

For me the only mod I would consider is double honk when exiting vehicle and closing door while the X is still on. However, I'm also ok with just leaving the door open or closing door right before it latches or just dealing with the honk.

Edited by mfam16, 13 December 2016 - 11:28 AM.

#34 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:16 PM

I think a few of us are annoyed that the mkx didn't have the tilt feature out of the gate - unlike most (maybe even all others) cars in the class.

Openness to making mods of this nature is another issue. I think the thread is a great read, but I'm not open to filling with the system in that manner.

#35 OFFLINE   punch-card

punch-card

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSTL - O'Fallon

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:40 PM

I am with Walkabout,  I always try to park as close to a curb when perpendicular parking if available just so one side of the vehicle can't be door dinged, this also normally gives you extra room on the opposite side of the vehicle as long as the person next to you does not go over there line. I know I have tilted down my mirrors several times this week alone.  Otherwise I am constantly getting tire scuffs because the "gray" area is black hole when it comes to your tires.... It would be nice if it was an option without hacking.

Edited by punch-card, 13 December 2016 - 12:41 PM.

416517.png

#36 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 13 December 2016 - 12:46 PM

How to park close to a curb as possible without curb rash: https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B001DQCDAA
  • Timmer and mfam16 like this

#37 OFFLINE   mfam16

mfam16

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSouth East

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:06 PM

enigma when I saw your post I laughed. Then I thought maybe your onto something.

945b8765425779b2d0166bf64177759b.jpg

This could be Lincoln's big chance to be First In Class  :lol:

Edited by mfam16, 13 December 2016 - 01:08 PM.

#38 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:03 PM

This could be Lincoln's big chance to be First In Class :lol:

Or Ford's. Ummmmm, let's see now, they could call it ...... "the Edsel". Radio antenna looks a little too tall and not enough chrome for Lincoln buyers.

#39 OFFLINE   mfam16

mfam16

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSouth East

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:48 PM

This is visualization of what I was referring to in regards to the gray zone and yellow lines. I think it's close enough to the curb.

Attached Files

#40 OFFLINE   mfam16

mfam16

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSouth East

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:19 PM

Adam I figured you may like this photo. It's from a 17 Z. Instrument cluster has better layout than what we have in our 16 X. I like how it shows digital reading in center part and temp near top right.

Attached Files

• Adam likes this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·