Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How are these Navigation systems updated?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:46 PM

Waze through AA is low-res and takes over Sync 3 as akirby says. I was a dedicated Waze user but now only use it for confirmation of the route planned out by the built in nav and sirius travel link.

Oh it's not that bad. https://photos.app.g...YnJHifJbn1FwOg2

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   Timmer

Timmer

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Reserve 3.7L AWD
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:10 PM

Yup. I updated mine in October or November and drove through a cornfield tonight. (It's a little unfair I guess inasmuch as the road was only put in five years ago.)

Hahaha! Too funny!! :-))

#43 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln Mkx

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:21 AM

I use waze and Google maps through AA all the time. Neither is "low res". The graphics are clear and crisp. I don't know where that low res idea is coming from because that is not close to being true, to be honest. I would defy anybody to see a real diff in that regard from the native system.

Both have a huge advantage over the sync 3 nav in that the response to voice commands is vastly superior and way more intuitive.

And, the accuracy of traffic on sync 3 is not in the same universe as the AA options.

AA does take over sync but it's a simple press of two buttons to get back to sync and you can still control the sound system on the wheel.

All that said, I think the sync 3 nav is one of the best on board systems as available. I use Google maps a lot but I enjoy going back to the sync 3 system too.
  • Timmer likes this

#44 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:07 AM

Agreed even when I watch video in the screen it's plenty fine.

#45 OFFLINE   Timmer

Timmer

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Reserve 3.7L AWD

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:26 PM

I use waze and Google maps through AA all the time. Neither is "low res". The graphics are clear and crisp. I don't know where that low res idea is coming from because that is not close to being true, to be honest. I would defy anybody to see a real diff in that regard from the native system.

Both have a huge advantage over the sync 3 nav in that the response to voice commands is vastly superior and way more intuitive.

And, the accuracy of traffic on sync 3 is not in the same universe as the AA options.

AA does take over sync but it's a simple press of two buttons to get back to sync and you can still control the sound system on the wheel.

All that said, I think the sync 3 nav is one of the best on board systems as available. I use Google maps a lot but I enjoy going back to the sync 3 system too.

Hey Walkabout - Do you have any issues with your PROMPT volume becoming inoperative/disappearing when using AA/Waze and then playing music using Spotify or Pandora?

Timmer

Edited by Timmer, 22 January 2018 - 12:23 PM.

#46 OFFLINE   VisionPilot

VisionPilot

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationMidwest
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve AWD

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:10 AM

Back to the subject of this thread, does anyone know when Lincoln plans to rollout the Navigation map update to Sync3 systems?  The A8 SD update has been out for months.  It seems ridiculous that the OTA update can't happen at least simultaneously....

#47 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Resident

• PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:37 AM

Isn’t it a completely different map source for sync 3 than MFT? Obviously updated maps are available from the map supplier but Ford has chosen not to provide them for sync 3 either for technical reasons or simple cost cutting (thanks Mark Fields).

#48 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:21 AM

Timmer - no problems on my end. VisionPilot - Maybe I'm jumping into the middle of a conversation so I may be missing things. However, I was under the impression that ota is for software, not data. I thought the nav data was via usb flash.
  • Timmer likes this

#49 OFFLINE   VisionPilot

VisionPilot

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:24 AM

Timmer - no problems on my end. VisionPilot - Maybe I'm jumping into the middle of a conversation so I may be missing things. However, I was under the impression that ota is for software, not data. I thought the nav data was via usb flash.

And even that would be fine with me, but it's not available on the owner.lincoln.com site.....

#50 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Resident

• PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:30 PM

We think the map data will be USB only due to the size, but since we haven’t seen anything one way or the other...... who knows.

The big problem with wi-if updates is that it only seems to do that while the vehicle is running, which isn’t very long at my house. I was hoping it would download updates for at least a few minutes after shutting off depending on battery level.

#51 OFFLINE   VisionPilot

VisionPilot

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

We think the map data will be USB only due to the size, but since we haven’t seen anything one way or the other...... who knows.

The big problem with wi-if updates is that it only seems to do that while the vehicle is running, which isn’t very long at my house. I was hoping it would download updates for at least a few minutes after shutting off depending on battery level.

I get that, and I have always downloaded Sync3 updates to USB and applied them myself.  I have no issue doing that.  I just don't understand why if they can put it on an SD card, they can't just make it available for download as well?  It can't be any different.  This is actually the opposite of almost any software update on other devices, such as cell phones, where the newer systems have access to updates prior to the older systems.  Here, Ford is providing updates to older models well ahead of providing those updates to their newer ones.

Edited by VisionPilot, 22 January 2018 - 01:36 PM.

#52 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:40 PM

I would have been surprised if they did that, in all honesty.  It would take a lot of time to download the data via WiFi, which would mean keeping the engine running or battery draining for quite some time.  And, while a lot of us have pretty fast wifi links, many owners will not and keeping account of all that variability would be a problem. 

In an ideal world, data would follow a subscription model with the car updating continuously.  

#53 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Resident

• PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:02 PM

If I had to guess I’d say it’s pure cost cutting. I’m sure Ford saved a bunch of money by not buying new maps for all the new vehicles. Mark Fields did some crazy stuff the last 3 years. And maybe they cut the developers working on the map updates. Hard to say but it certainly doesn’t make sense from a customer standpoint especially if you’re willing to pay for the updates.

#54 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Resident

• PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:53 AM

Map updates are on the way:

https://lincoln.welcome.naviextras.com
  • punch-card and VisionPilot like this

#55 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 850 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:52 PM

NNG software co. Makes me think they switched map providers.

I looked on their website, Ford and Lincoln are about the only car companys NOT listed as one of their clients. Must have just agreed to work together.

They allow partial updates (just updating what has changed from last update), smaller databases, updates by wireless (reconnects and continues from where it left off), cellphone (I'm guessing bluetooth and USB), and download to jump drive.

Edited by enigma-2, 23 February 2018 - 05:15 PM.

• VisionPilot likes this

#56 OFFLINE   Ninja279

Ninja279

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:2016 - MKX 2.7L, Black Label

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:48 PM

I downloaded Sygic to my iPhone. It is supported by Apple Play, and is updated on a regular basis

Edited by Ninja279, 23 February 2018 - 07:49 PM.

#57 OFFLINE   MKXMark

MKXMark

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationSoutheastern PA
  • Current Vehicle:2017 MKX Select
  • My MKX's Year:2016-2018

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:59 AM

I wonder how Sygic compares to Waze.

Looking at the Sygic website it seems they support iOS only with Sync 2.3. I know Waze is coming to Sync soon and I assume that will be on Android (since both are Google products).

Edited by MKXMark, 24 February 2018 - 09:03 AM.

• thisguy159 likes this

#58 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:50 PM

Waze is already on Android

#59 OFFLINE   MKXMark

MKXMark

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationSoutheastern PA
  • Current Vehicle:2017 MKX Select
  • My MKX's Year:2016-2018

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:00 AM

I mean Waze on Android will be native to Sync 3 the same way Sygic on iOS runs in Sync 3.

#60 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Resident

• PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:28 AM

They’re adding Waze top applink - has nothing to do with AA or CP.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·