Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New Tires for our '07 MKX

Recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   07MKXDD

07MKXDD

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNC
  • Current Vehicle:07 MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:54 PM

Hello to All. New to the site and long time owner of a '07 MKX that we bought new. Garaged always, pampered always and only 67K miles. I changed the oil today - Mobil One Extended Mileage 5w-20 oil and she sounded as smooth as the day we drove her home. While checking the tire pressures, I found a nail in the driver's side front tire.

We have had two set of Michelins 245/60/18s and will be buying new tires this week since I found the nail and we have 36K miles on our current set. It is hard for me to rationalize spending near $900 on another set of Michelins with Christmas right around the corner Just wanted to know if there are recommendations out there from other owners of this fine car. Thanks in advance for your help.  :)

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX

Posted 05 November 2016 - 11:00 PM

Check TireRack.com. I'm going to replace the tires on my 09 this week, going to put on a set of Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia's. 20 inch on mine. (Same tires that I'm replacing.)
https://m.tirerack.c...&zipCode=null#0

One thing you should keep in mind is, your local Ford dealer will match any advertised price (including tirerack, Sam's Club, Cosco, etc.) and, they are offering $140 in rebates. (Bridgestone is one of the brands on their list).
http://owner.ford.co...0161106042218:s

Also, $70 of the rebate is if you put it on your Ford Credit Card. (If you don't have a Ford CC, you can sign up right at the service desk).

Another good feature of using this card is, the give you the ability to pay it off over several months WITHOUT INTEREST. OPM! (Just don't miss a minimum payment.)

Edited by enigma-2, 05 November 2016 - 11:25 PM.

• 07MKXDD likes this

#3 OFFLINE   07MKXDD

07MKXDD

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 06 November 2016 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for your advice enigma-2. Back when we put our second set of tires on, we went with Goodyear Assurance CS Triple Tread since my wife worked for Goodyear. They were more expensive than the Michelin Latitude Tour HP we wanted but she felt she had to support "her employer". After the Goodyear folks installed the tires I started home. I didn't even make it to the highway. Darn tires made the MKX feel like each tire was going in different directions. Strangest thing I have ever felt. I turned around after less than 5 miles and went back to the Goodyear tire store. They remounted the tires and rebalanced them but there was no change. I went back and told them to put our original Michelins back on. They would not do it. Long story short, we went with the Michelins again and after waging war with Akron (Goodyear's home office), we got a full refund. This experience has made us hesitant to try other tires but money is a little tighter now-a-days so I can't see spending so much money for new Michelins even though I know they're awesome.

So right now we're leaning towards Nexen's N'fera Ru5 245/60/18 at Walmart. They are listed at $111.34 each and installation is $9 per tire at our local Walmart with free rotation for the life of the tire. I just put Hankook ATM tires on my '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee by using Walmart and have been 100% satisfied with the service and tire. I saved over $300 on the Hankooks and will save $454 by going the Nexen route versus the Michelins. I know they're not Michelins but that extra money in our pocket for Christmas will be worth it.

I really hate I'm not buying American made tires. I mean it burns me up but Goodyear will never get another dime from me. I will try to give an update on the Nexen tires after we get back from our beach trip. That will be a good trip to find out if they are going to cut the mustard. Cheers!  

Edited by 07MKXDD, 06 November 2016 - 08:35 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:36 PM

After reviewing the reviews at tirerack.Com, I was initially considering going with Michelin Premier LTX. Highest overall review. One thing that bothered me however was the fact that most all the reviews were only the first hundred miles or so. Flipped over to the reviews at Amazon.com and there were reports of the tire being great, but only lasting a few thousand miles. (Soft rubber makes for a great ride but wears away fast). So I decided to fall back on the Bridgestone's. Still a good ride, but in it for the long hull.

#5 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 822 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:52 PM

Not familiar with the Nexen's, tirerack.Com does not carry them in your size, so I read the reviews on Amazon.com. There were only a handful of reviews, most were 4-5 stars, but had only a thousand miles or less. The only one who had 25,000 miles gave the one star, reporting that his were "coming apart" and ready for new tires. (Can happen with any tire of couse). In all fairness those ratings were on a different size as there were no ratings for the 245's.
Good luck, hope they turn out to be a smooth and quiet ride.

#6 OFFLINE   07MKXDD

07MKXDD

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 06 November 2016 - 07:12 PM

Nexen is a South Korean tire manufacturer. I had an '05 Mazda 6 GS wagon that I had put 18" tires and wheels on it shortly after I drove it off the dealer's lot. I think they were the N7000 series back then, I believe. They were high performance soft summer compound tires and I put them on every spring for three years. Awesome tires and when I sold the set, they had covered roughly 23K miles and still looked great. The reviews on Walmart's site were mostly 5 stars with the average being 4.7. Like I said above, when I needed to replace the Coopers on my Jeep, I went with Hankook ATMs and have been thrilled with them. The Coopers were coming apart on the sidewalls with huge cracks all the way around three of four tires @ less than 30K miles. On our 2000 Jeep XJ Cherokee, we also have Coopers on it and two of four tires have cracks and they don't have 25K on them.

Sadly, there are some good tires coming out of South Korea instead of America. Low prices get you hooked and when they perform better than you expect, you go back for more. The MKX is mostly our beach ride and in the last year, we drove it about 6K miles. If the Nexens last 25K miles, it looks like we're set for nearly 4 years! Heck, I might even replace the Pirellis on our new Fiat 500 Abarth cabrio with a South Korean tire when the day comes if these impress me.  

#7 OFFLINE   07MKXDD

07MKXDD

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:27 AM

Just a quick update on the new Nexen tires put on our '07 MKX - put new 245/60/18 Nexens on earlier this week and drove down to Myrtle Beach yesterday. Before leaving, I checked the air pressures and found they ranged from 35psi - 40psi. What in the world?! Went with 36psi at all four corners and had a very smooth ride. Initial impressions are this @ $444 for a new set of 18" tires, you can not go wrong. I will quantify this by saying that we own 4 cars and our MKX only sees about 5K miles a year now. If we were driving 15K miles a year we may have stayed with Michelins. I think, as the Nexens wear, the road noise will be greater than the Michelins with the same wear. They won't go as many miles as the Michelins will either.

So I will ask myself this, would I buy these tires again? Yes, in a split second, with zero issues. These will last us at least 5 more years and by then we may be ready for a new MKX!   :happy feet:  

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·