Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Wheels are taking a Beating

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Southerngravy

Southerngravy

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationWoodbridge, North Virginia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 VW Passat TDI SEL, 1988 Honda Civic DX
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:21 PM

So I am thinking maybe this is a quality defect with the first years, but my 20" wheels on the Reserve are starting to flake and peel off.  Just wondering since after 10k miles I am just starting to notice this.  Would be a shame if they said it was cosmetic damage and would charge me to fix it.  I guess we'll see...

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:34 PM

Not an issue for me and am at 15k.  I did notice flaking but it seemed like it was from the tires and I can rub it off with my finger, basically looks like plastic coating near where the tire meets the rim.  Maybe its the same issue you are having?

#3 OFFLINE   rst08tierney

rst08tierney

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:23 PM

Can you attach a pic

#4 OFFLINE   rst08tierney

rst08tierney

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:00 PM

Can you attach a pic

#5 OFFLINE   Ruby

Ruby

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:03 AM

Check out this video on Youtube about the cladding on the wheels of a Ford Edge. I'm not sure if our wheels our made the same way.

https://www.youtube....h?v=K14ft1FSpfw

#6 OFFLINE   Adam

Adam

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationEastern Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:30 AM

Is it clear?  I've had that happen on my first vehicle, but it was about ten years old!  Definitely a quality issue.

And I don't believe any Lincoln wheels are chrome clad.  With the exception of the polished 21"-ers, I believe all are painted and then coated with a clear plastic.

Current: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD, Reserve, Ingot Silver on Cappuccino, 21s, Luxury, Climate, Driver Assistance, Technology, Cargo Utility, Multi-contour, Adaptive Steering

Previous: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Reserve, Luxe on Ebony and 2013 MKX AWD, Elite, Ingot Silver on Light Stone

#7 OFFLINE   mosh00

mosh00

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • LocationIowa

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:48 AM

Is it clear?  I've had that happen on my first vehicle, but it was about ten years old!  Definitely a quality issue.

And I don't believe any Lincoln wheels are chrome clad.  With the exception of the polished 21"-ers, I believe all are painted and then coated with a clear plastic.

My 2013 Edge has the optional 20" chrome clad rims.  I will NEVER EVER purchase a vehicle with chrome cladding again!!!  They are so fragile!!!  The thin layer of chrome starts pealing off.  In the 40,000 miles I have driven the Edge, I have replaced 2 of the rims at about $1,000 a pop.  When rotating the tires if the shop isn't careful they will damage them.  First rim was replaced at 7,500 miles because the shop used a socket on their air wrench that was too big and caught some of the cladding and started it flaking off.  The second time, I hit a piece of debris in the road which caused the cladding to start pealing off.

I'm glad they don't use chrome cladding on the 2016 MKXs.   Chrome cladding is just too fragile for the abuse of the road.

2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

2.7L EcoBoost - AWD - White Platinum Metallic (Exterior) - Hazelnut (Interior) - Luxury Package - Driver Assistance Package - Technology Package - Climate Package - Cargo Utility Package - 22-Way Adjustable Seats - Trailer Tow Package - Adaptive Steering - Inflatable Rear-Seat Belts - Enhanced Security Package - 21" Premium Painted Aluminum Rims

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

#8 OFFLINE   fredluke

fredluke

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationOakville

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:22 AM

I had 22" on my Edge Sport. Polished/painted with clear coat.

I brushed against a concrete curb and scratched the crap in one area. I used my Dremel with 220 grit sand paper then the grit compound on the buffing wheel and it looked perfect. I never clear coated the area and the wheel always looked good.

My X has the 21" polished. They look like they were sanded then buffed then clear coated. I have tried to make sense of the design process on these rims. Are they supposed to have that half machined half polished look or did the manufacturer not go all the way with polish part.

Anyway, I made sure I would never touch another curb again especially with these wheels and the help of the proximity sensors.

WELL....guess what...I touched the damn curb anyway! I was in a secluded area of the lot so I got out of the vehicle took a look and proceeded scream and yell like a deranged psycho.

I am so pissed right now. Have to bring out the Dremel again but not sure how these rims will react.

#9 OFFLINE   rst08tierney

rst08tierney

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:33 AM

At 10k I'm guessing you've been through a winter. Wonder if the anti icers or de icers used in your city are hurting your rims finish.

Had a 2008 acadia that spent a few winter trips in Colorado. My plastic chrome browned and my wheels got a white crusty haze that came off with some meguiars m205.

#10 OFFLINE   Timmer

Timmer

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Reserve 3.7L AWD

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:27 PM

I had 22" on my Edge Sport. Polished/painted with clear coat.

I brushed against a concrete curb and scratched the crap in one area. I used my Dremel with 220 grit sand paper then the grit compound on the buffing wheel and it looked perfect. I never clear coated the area and the wheel always looked good.

My X has the 21" polished. They look like they were sanded then buffed then clear coated. I have tried to make sense of the design process on these rims. Are they supposed to have that half machined half polished look or did the manufacturer not go all the way with polish part.

Anyway, I made sure I would never touch another curb again especially with these wheels and the help of the proximity sensors.

WELL....guess what...I touched the damn curb anyway! I was in a secluded area of the lot so I got out of the vehicle took a look and proceeded scream and yell like a deranged psycho.

I am so pissed right now. Have to bring out the Dremel again but not sure how these rims will react.

Bummer...  I feel your pain...

#11 OFFLINE   Southerngravy

Southerngravy

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 05:47 PM

Ok I just got a break from work to check out the site and heres the update.  So over the weekend Lincoln reps took photos and said they would get back in touch with me to see if its factory covered and it wasn't due to road rash, debris or damage.  They say they never seen that before so I will assume that its just an issue with my batch of wheels since I was literally one of the firsts in the whole mid atlantic region with the 16 MKX.  I only got one good pic before I left the vehicle with the dealership but we will see...

20160926 160010

#12 OFFLINE   Southerngravy

Southerngravy

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:34 AM

So update, the dealership is replacing 3 of the 4 wheels free of charge.  Im really surprised by that move, but maybe customer service has been taking a beating lately?

• Timmer likes this

#13 OFFLINE   LinkedMe

LinkedMe

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 60 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationChicago area
  • Current Vehicle:MKX Reserve

Posted 01 October 2016 - 11:05 AM

So update, the dealership is replacing 3 of the 4 wheels free of charge.  Im really surprised by that move, but maybe customer service has been taking a beating lately?

Glad they are doing the right thing.  I once had a new Saab 900 Turbo and the "plating" was flaking on one wheel.  Looked like aluminum foil.  Initially the dealer tried to say that I must have scrapped the wheel.  When I pointed out that it was even flaking from inside the "spokes", how could I have scrapped there?  Then he said "oh yeah now I see that too, it's obviously damage from harsh chemicals at the car wash.....not covered".  The car the car was 4 months old and washed 95% by hand!  He stuck with the "harsh chemical" excuse.  His rationale didn't fly as I pointed out, "how could one wheel be affected by harsh chemicals and not all four".  I finally got the GM involved and a Saab arbitrator, they agreed to replace the rim...$1100, which was big money back then but what a hassle they gave me.  Hope those days of poor customer service are gone from all dealers!

#14 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationOregon & Pacific NW wonderland
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion, 2012 Veloster, 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Select plus

Posted 01 October 2016 - 12:04 PM

My dealer replaced a wheel that had been flagged by a small green adhesive 'dot' at some point prior to delivery, likely at the pre-delivery prep facility. The wheel issue was a small nick on the bead/rim so tiny that I, my spouse, and a dealer staff manager couldn't detect it even on our hands & knees. I initially waived the wheel replacement, but the dealer insisted on ordering the wheel for replacement at a later date.

I often contrast the positive sales experiences & customer services that I have received over several recent years with those of the 1950s-1970s when American cars suffered very poor assembly quality and the customer had little recourse except to take it or leave it. I once purchased a GM product that was so sloppily constructed that I submitted a 7 page (hand written) list of defects that I wanted corrected...only a small number of issues were addressed. I could imagine my 7 page list being posted on the dealer's bulletin board for employee laughs.

• rst08tierney and Timmer like this

#15 OFFLINE   rst08tierney

rst08tierney

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:02 PM

Great news. Most dealers don't budge unless the manufacturer is kicking them back.

Have a feeling Lincoln knows they rushed the initial launch of the C and the X so they are making it up 10 fold with the current buyers. When the refresh comes in 2019 and the split wing grille gets kicked to the curb they want retention.

Looking foward to seeing all the little stuff hammered out over the next 16 to 18 months.

Edited by rst08tierney, 01 October 2016 - 02:04 PM.

• tdstarnes likes this

#16 OFFLINE   cowboysphan

cowboysphan

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouthern Plains

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:35 PM

Great news. Most dealers don't budge unless the manufacturer is kicking them back.

Have a feeling Lincoln knows they rushed the initial launch of the C and the X so they are making it up 10 fold with the current buyers. When the refresh comes in 2019 and the split wing grille gets kicked to the curb they want retention.

Looking foward to seeing all the little stuff hammered out over the next 16 to 18 months.

More than just a few little things to hammer out - on both vehicles, and they've had two years to get the MKC right.  I was hoping things might change as well.

If you read from MKC owners that are up for new leases now or soon most say they will not go back for another.. so much for retention.

And I don't think Lincoln should take 60K from people while they "hammer" these things out with the MKX.  Ill take that 60K and give it to a manufacturer that already has things "hammered" or figured out.  You guys can be their experiment.

Most of what I read is serious quality issues too and just plain carelessness and shoddy work.  Not what I expect in a "luxury" segment.

Edited by cowboysphan, 01 October 2016 - 02:36 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   Adam

Adam

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:09 PM

^ please leave.
  • mosh00 likes this

Current: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD, Reserve, Ingot Silver on Cappuccino, 21s, Luxury, Climate, Driver Assistance, Technology, Cargo Utility, Multi-contour, Adaptive Steering

Previous: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Reserve, Luxe on Ebony and 2013 MKX AWD, Elite, Ingot Silver on Light Stone

#18 OFFLINE   cowboysphan

cowboysphan

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouthern Plains

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:48 PM

^ please leave.

:cry:  :cry:  :cry: 

#19 OFFLINE   Adam

Adam

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:02 AM

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:

I should be more welcoming to new members.  Welcome.

#20 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln Mkx

Posted 03 October 2016 - 10:13 AM

I'm not playing flame wars with anybody. However, we get that your down on Lincoln and it is fine too make that observation. However, it would be great if the rest of us who are living with these vehicles could have a forum for our discussions without every thread getting interrupted byy "Lincoln stinks" rants.

Fwiw, my last vehicle was aa 3 series wagon. Before that, I had an Acura TSX. I found both bmw and acura a pleasure to deal with in general. I've been mostly satisfied with Lincoln as well. I have my complaints about the MKX but the overall quality control had been fine and the manufacturer support as expected. I'm impressed, if anything.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·