Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2011 mkx stripe removal

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   karl206

karl206

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSeattle
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Lincoln MKX

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:48 PM

Hi guys, 

I recently purchased a 2011 MKX and love it but want to remove the striping down the side and on the back tailgate. I was wondering if anyone knows if it is painted on or a decal? I thought it was a decal and could be heated up and removed but it didn't seem to be working. Thanks for any help.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Resident

• PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:47 PM

Could be either - I don't think that's a factory option.   Look at the edges very closely - you should be able to tell if it's tape or paint.  If it's tape soften it with a hair dryer and it should peel right off.

#3 OFFLINE   karl206

karl206

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 05 September 2016 - 09:12 PM

Could be either - I don't think that's a factory option.   Look at the edges very closely - you should be able to tell if it's tape or paint.  If it's tape soften it with a hair dryer and it should peel right off.

Thanks for the reply. I thought it was tape but I wasn't sure after I tried a hair dryer and it didn't wanna peel back at all. It is a limited edition so I thought maybe it was part of the package.

#4 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Resident

• PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:02 AM

I don't recall a factory "limited edition" so that's most likely a dealer package.   Still doesn't tell you for sure if it's tape or paint.  You could very carefully try to lift the edge with a razor blade.

#5 OFFLINE   Adam

Adam

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationEastern Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:02 AM

There actually was a Limited Edition MKX of that vintage. It had unique seat leather colour, aluminum dash trim and the Lincoln logo was etched into the headlight lenses. I don't recall any pinstriping although there was a door badge.

Current: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD, Reserve, Ingot Silver on Cappuccino, 21s, Luxury, Climate, Driver Assistance, Technology, Cargo Utility, Multi-contour, Adaptive Steering

Previous: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Reserve, Luxe on Ebony and 2013 MKX AWD, Elite, Ingot Silver on Light Stone

#6 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 972 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:20 AM

I can verify there was no pinstriping on any MKX including the Limited.
Almost certainly aftermarket.

#7 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 972 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:21 AM

Run your finger across the pinstripe. If you feel a ridge, it's tape, if it's smooth, it's paint.

As it runs across the tailgate, if it's tape, it will wrap around to opening, leaving an "end" exposed. You can start to peal at these ends.

If it's paint, it was put on top of the clearcoat and you "might" be able to rub it off with rubbing coumpound. (Try in a ln inconspicuous location first).

Edited by enigma-2, 06 September 2016 - 10:27 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Resident

• PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:58 AM

There actually was a Limited Edition MKX of that vintage. It had unique seat leather colour, aluminum dash trim and the Lincoln logo was etched into the headlight lenses. I don't recall any pinstriping although there was a door badge.

Interesting - did not remember that one.

#9 OFFLINE   karl206

karl206

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:38 AM

Run your finger across the pinstripe. If you feel a ridge, it's tape, if it's smooth, it's paint.

As it runs across the tailgate, if it's tape, it will wrap around to opening, leaving an "end" exposed. You can start to peal at these ends.

If it's paint, it was put on top of the clearcoat and you "might" be able to rub it off with rubbing coumpound. (Try in a ln inconspicuous location first).

Thank you, I'll try that. I thought it was a decal but not sure now. I believe it is part of the Elite package.

#10 OFFLINE   Adam

Adam

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationEastern Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:43 AM

My 2013 was an Elite. No pinstriping. As someone mentioned there are no factory pinstripe packages on the MKX. Thank goodness for that!

Current: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD, Reserve, Ingot Silver on Cappuccino, 21s, Luxury, Climate, Driver Assistance, Technology, Cargo Utility, Multi-contour, Adaptive Steering

Previous: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Reserve, Luxe on Ebony and 2013 MKX AWD, Elite, Ingot Silver on Light Stone

#11 OFFLINE   karl206

karl206

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:22 PM

I did more research and you guys absolutely right. The previous owner must have added it. Luckily its coming off with rubbing compound. 

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·