Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Adaptive Steering Fault

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   punch-card

punch-card

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSTL - O'Fallon
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:57 PM

Has anyone seen this error yet? I got this twice over the weekend, The service advisor call and said they can find the issue and need to drive it home..... arrrrgggg.....

AdaptiveSterting.jpg

416517.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   VisionPilot

VisionPilot

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationMidwest
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve AWD
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:26 PM

Has anyone seen this error yet? I got this twice over the weekend, The service advisor call and said they can find the issue and need to drive it home..... arrrrgggg.....

AdaptiveSterting.jpg

Just got this exact error today on my two mile drive back to work over lunch break....    hmmm     Will see if it occurs again on the drive home.   Over on the Edge forums, there is a 10 page thread going on this issue.

Edited by VisionPilot, 15 December 2016 - 01:27 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   punch-card

punch-card

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationSTL - O'Fallon

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:02 PM

I have seen it about 3 times, but the good news was the last time was in august.  They had to "recalibrate" the system as I remember. The dealers was going to replace a spring type device but I don't remember what the dealer last did that "seems" to have corrected the issue.

Hopefully you will not have the issue that I had one Saturday morning, the steering wheel was 90 degree off, finally when I stopped the car for a few minutes, when I restarted the vehicle the steering wheel spun the 90 degrees back and corrected itself.

• VisionPilot likes this
416517.png

#4 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:24 PM

... when I restarted the vehicle the steering wheel spun the 90 degrees back and corrected itself.

This stuff scares the crap out of me. What happens if you are driving along and get a power spike and the steering decides to spin 90°? The old provibial "turn left... NOW". Call me old, but .... drive by wire - too much automation.

Edited by enigma-2, 15 December 2016 - 02:24 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   fredluke

fredluke

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOakville

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:00 PM

I have had a few fault warnings "adaptive steering" "low tire pressure" and most common is "Drive control malfunction". Usually they show up at start up until I drive 20 ft and then they disappear. It's like the sensors send a quirky fault code to the module and once things are moving and sensors all is good.

I had "Drive control malfunction" remain on longer once in the past but it went away when I added air to the passenger front tire. I assume sensors can read the extra strain on the electric steering servo or an imbalance of the vehicle or speed sensor on the front passenger tire or something because the fault was gone immediately after filing the tire.  Eventually had to replace the tire.

I'm only assuming what happens..

#6 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationOregon & Pacific NW wonderland
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion, 2012 Veloster, 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Select plus

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:19 PM

I am observing the trends to technologies of every imaginable sort being available in current & future automobiles with some trepidation, often in the hands of untrained, unskilled, and unfamiliar drivers or subject to malfunction. Ask any Pilots Association principal or the investigators of Asiana Flight 214 (San Francisco, July 6, 2013) and many other crashes how errant tech or poor judgment in depending on the tech led to tragic consequences. I see a correlation between drivers on our roads & pilots in our skyways.

• mfam16 likes this

#7 OFFLINE   VisionPilot

VisionPilot

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:23 PM

After I received the above warning, I noticed that my adaptive steering no longer works.... steering wheel is still straight, the car seems to drive ok, but no steering assistance at low speeds....  I have an appt Tuesday with my local dealer.  Will pass on the info about re-calibrating it, thanks!

#8 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 737 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:21 PM

I have had a few fault warnings "adaptive steering" "low tire pressure" and most common is "Drive control malfunction". Usually they show up at start up until I drive 20 ft and then they disappear. It's like the sensors send a quirky fault code to the module and once things are moving and sensors all is good.

I don't know if this is related to your problem or not, I purchased new tires last month and had the "low tire pressure" light come on the other morning. After dropping my wife off at work I took it over the the Ford dealer and had them check it out. All tires were only 3 psi down (cold weather) and they told me they thought the sensor's are made too sensitive. The sensor's were trained on a very warm day and they thought that they were reacting to the cold weather. Work fine afterwards.
Dont see how the steering and tire pressure warnings are related. But hey, who knows. The new stuff is thinking for itself anymore. Wouldn't surprise me if Sync 3 starts responding "I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that." (2001 Space Odyssey).
  • VisionPilot and Timmer like this

#9 OFFLINE   mfam16

mfam16

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationSouth East

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:51 PM

I am observing the trends to technologies of every imaginable sort being available in current & future automobiles with some trepidation, often in the hands of untrained, unskilled, and unfamiliar drivers or subject to malfunction. Ask any Pilots Association principal or the investigators of Asiana Flight 214 (San Francisco, July 6, 2013) and many other crashes how errant tech or poor judgment in depending on the tech led to tragic consequences. I see a correlation between drivers on our roads & pilots in our skyways.

I agree. I love tech, but I also know the more tech any vehicle has. The more problems we will incur and the less prepared we will be.

#10 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 737 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:51 PM

I agree. I love tech, but I also know the more tech any vehicle has. The more problems we will incur and the less prepared we will be.

Especially when a computer (subject to failure) has control over the steering. (!!!)
  • VisionPilot likes this

#11 OFFLINE   VisionPilot

VisionPilot

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:24 AM

Dropped car off at dealer this morning... we will see what they say.  I am certain that the adaptive steering feature was no longer working after the error message displayed though, even though the msg never returned.  Low speed steering is where you really notice it, as it takes about 50% less steering wheel input to turn the wheels.  Now, I no longer seem to get that assist.

Edited by VisionPilot, 20 December 2016 - 08:38 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   Timmer

Timmer

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Reserve 3.7L AWD

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:07 PM

Especially when a computer (subject to failure) has control over the steering. (!!!)

Yikes!!

#13 OFFLINE   Timmer

Timmer

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:08 PM

Dropped car off at dealer this morning... we will see what they say.  I am certain that the adaptive steering feature was no longer working after the error message displayed though, even though the msg never returned.  Low speed steering is where you really notice it, as it takes about 50% less steering wheel input to turn the wheels.  Now, I no longer seem to get that assist.

It will be interesting to learn what the dealer tells you about this...

• VisionPilot likes this

#14 OFFLINE   VisionPilot

VisionPilot

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:13 PM

in the interim, they loaned me a '15 MKC AWD with the 2.3 EB motor.... gotta say, it's pretty quick and fun to play with.

Edited by VisionPilot, 20 December 2016 - 01:13 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   VisionPilot

VisionPilot

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 20 December 2016 - 04:03 PM

Well, the loaner is short lived.  I culled some information from the Edge forums that lead me to a TSB related to the adaptive steering issues.  I emailed that (along with the descriptive text) to the Lincoln service manager a couple hours after dropping the car off this morning, thinking it might be helpful.  He in turn, printed it out, and left it for the technician.  As it turns out, it came in handy, as the code that the vehicle threw, did not automatically link to the TSB, but the TSB did have the info for the code (he didn't say which code).  Long story short, they are cleaning my car up for me (it was filthy after the recent snow), and giving it back to me, while they order me a new SECM, which basically is the entire steering wheel assembly.  So far, I am pleased with this level of service!  The service manager was very appreciative of my research....

Edited by VisionPilot, 20 December 2016 - 04:10 PM.

• Timmer and mfam16 like this

#16 OFFLINE   NOTMY911

NOTMY911

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:16 PM

...  So far, I am pleased with this level of service!  The service manager was very appreciative of my research....

Me too but why did I have to tell the dealership that there was a TSB recall on my Throttle Body Module?  And of course they did not had one on the shelf.

"NOTMY911":  2016 MKX Reserve 102A, Ingot Silver, 3.7 AWD, Driver Assistance Pck, Technology Pck, Climate Pck, 22 Way Seats, Sync 3  

"JJ 911SC":     1983 911 Cabriolet, Grand Prix White

#17 OFFLINE   Timmer

Timmer

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:02 PM

Well, the loaner is short lived.  I culled some information from the Edge forums that lead me to a TSB related to the adaptive steering issues.  I emailed that (along with the descriptive text) to the Lincoln service manager a couple hours after dropping the car off this morning, thinking it might be helpful.  He in turn, printed it out, and left it for the technician.  As it turns out, it came in handy, as the code that the vehicle threw, did not automatically link to the TSB, but the TSB did have the info for the code (he didn't say which code).  Long story short, they are cleaning my car up for me (it was filthy after the recent snow), and giving it back to me, while they order me a new SECM, which basically is the entire steering wheel assembly.  So far, I am pleased with this level of service!  The service manager was very appreciative of my research....

I wonder if they'll still be appreciative once you submit your flat rate time card for the research and TSB, VisionPilot... ;-))

All kidding aside, good find, and I hope you continue to be pleased with your dealership.

• VisionPilot likes this

#18 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationChicago

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:53 PM

Well, the loaner is short lived. I culled some information from the Edge forums that lead me to a TSB related to the adaptive steering issues. I emailed that (along with the descriptive text) to the Lincoln service manager a couple hours after dropping the car off this morning, thinking it might be helpful. He in turn, printed it out, and left it for the technician. As it turns out, it came in handy, as the code that the vehicle threw, did not automatically link to the TSB, but the TSB did have the info for the code (he didn't say which code). Long story short, they are cleaning my car up for me (it was filthy after the recent snow), and giving it back to me, while they order me a new SECM, which basically is the entire steering wheel assembly. So far, I am pleased with this level of service! The service manager was very appreciative of my research....

I have to say I am not used to having to have my car returned to my while they wait for parts. Life long Acura owner they would always allow me to keep the rental until things are fixed. In fact the last time I had a loaner for 3 or 4 weeks while waiting for 3rd party warranty to approve and the source parts for my Acura. The dealer didn't even flinch. Last time I was at lincoln I had to drive 40 min to get my vehicle then drive back once the part got in. I guess not a big deal now with them picking up the car but...

Edited by thisguy159, 20 December 2016 - 08:55 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:39 PM

I would prefer to have my own vehicle if it was more than a few days.   But I can understand not wanting to make the long drive like that.

• VisionPilot likes this

#20 OFFLINE   VisionPilot

VisionPilot

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:29 AM

I have to say I am not used to having to have my car returned to my while they wait for parts. Life long Acura owner they would always allow me to keep the rental until things are fixed. In fact the last time I had a loaner for 3 or 4 weeks while waiting for 3rd party warranty to approve and the source parts for my Acura. The dealer didn't even flinch. Last time I was at lincoln I had to drive 40 min to get my vehicle then drive back once the part got in. I guess not a big deal now with them picking up the car but...

I understand your point, however, in this case

1) My car is perfectly driveable, it just doesn't have the optional steering assist functioning at this time.

2) the dealer is walking distance from my work, (and only 5 minutes from my house),

3) I would much rather have my own car to drive, then their loaner. 

4) Much prefer to have it in my garage every night, than sitting on the dealer lot, merely waiting on parts

So, for me, clearly, this is the way they know I would prefer things.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·