Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Have you noticed exhaust fumes in car?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Adam

Adam

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationEastern Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:25 AM

Dopie, is this your first SUV?

If Lincoln dropped the ball, so did GMC, Ford and Jeep. I've owned a lot of SUVs in my life and all of them pulled in some fumes on hard acceleration. Every single one.

Current: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD, Reserve, Ingot Silver on Cappuccino, 21s, Luxury, Climate, Driver Assistance, Technology, Cargo Utility, Multi-contour, Adaptive Steering

Previous: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Reserve, Luxe on Ebony and 2013 MKX AWD, Elite, Ingot Silver on Light Stone

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:52 AM

My MKX has the same issue. Rotten egg smell in the cabin when driving on the highway. Very embarrassing especially on the occassions where I need to drive my clients around when performing my job. Lincoln really dropped the ball on this "luxury" brand of theirs.

That actually make me feel better, though I have never been in one that does it other then my MKX now.  It is actually at the dealer about this issue again.

#23 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:05 AM

My MKX has the same issue. Rotten egg smell in the cabin when driving on the highway.

The smell comes from certain sulfur compounds in burning gasoline reacting in the catalytic converter. Happens with every car ever built, but I wonder if it's more noticeable on SUV's and CUV's due to the boxy back ends creating a low pressure zone.

One possible fix is to try a different brand of gasoline. Another is never run the HVAC in the recirculation mode. It is strange however, that some Edge's have the problem and others don't.

#24 OFFLINE   mfam16

mfam16

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationSouth East
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:45 PM

Dopie, is this your first SUV?

If Lincoln dropped the ball, so did GMC, Ford and Jeep. I've owned a lot of SUVs in my life and all of them pulled in some fumes on hard acceleration. Every single one.

Not sure about Jeep, but as far as any SUV we have from GM,Lexus, BMW or Audi we never had any fumes or smells from hard acceleration.  However, with everything Ford we have. Its not a big deal to me though. 

Edited by mfam16, 07 September 2016 - 04:46 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   IggyAZ

IggyAZ

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationArizona
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:38 PM

Update after dealer checked.

Acknowledged they drove it and did smell the exhaust fumes.(rotten egg smell) but was unable to track down where it was leaking from to get into the air system.

It happens in regular outside circulation mode. Will have to check and see if it happens while in recirculation mode.

This needs to continue to be addressed as it is a major health risk even with the letter stating it is within government guide line limits.

It still stinks up the car.

It's Here- 2016 MKX with Sync 3

#26 OFFLINE   Adam

Adam

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 02:50 PM

I don't believe it's a major health risk. IIRC someone from an explorer forum used a CO sniffer and it didn't alarm.

Current: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD, Reserve, Ingot Silver on Cappuccino, 21s, Luxury, Climate, Driver Assistance, Technology, Cargo Utility, Multi-contour, Adaptive Steering

Previous: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Reserve, Luxe on Ebony and 2013 MKX AWD, Elite, Ingot Silver on Light Stone

#27 OFFLINE   astringer

astringer

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBenton, AR

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:35 PM

I'm struggling with this issue on my 2016 MKX still.  I've taken it to the dealer twice with no resolution.  They told me to try premium gas, to try gas from different stations, that's it's "normal" for up to 10,000 miles to still be burning off.  It is not a mild smell.  It's extremely strong and I agree with the comment above that you can not conduct business with colleagues in a car that smells like rotten eggs.  I have had many new SUVs and cars in my lifetime that have never had this problem.

#28 OFFLINE   rst08tierney

rst08tierney

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:57 PM

I'm struggling with this issue on my 2016 MKX still. I've taken it to the dealer twice with no resolution. They told me to try premium gas, to try gas from different stations, that's it's "normal" for up to 10,000 miles to still be burning off. It is not a mild smell. It's extremely strong and I agree with the comment above that you can not conduct business with colleagues in a car that smells like rotten eggs. I have had many new SUVs and cars in my lifetime that have never had this problem.

Have they dumped your oil yet?

These arnt high performance engines and should not need more then 2500-3000 miles to be properly broken in.

Higher octane will burn more carbon or deposits off but you shouldn't have build up yet.

Start with the oil. My guess like others reported it's being over filled. Check your dip stick.

Edited by rst08tierney, 15 September 2016 - 02:01 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:09 PM

Do you still have the smell if you run the blower on high?

The reason I ask is, I'm wondering if the odor is coming in through the air intake (located in the engine compartment) and being circulated by the HVAC system; or being sucked in from behind?

Running the fan on high should pressurize the closed cabin and isolate where the sulfur smell is entering from. This might help in isolating where to start looking for the source of the problem.

Edited by enigma-2, 15 September 2016 - 08:10 PM.

#30 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:56 PM

I'm struggling with this issue on my 2016 MKX still.  I've taken it to the dealer twice with no resolution.  They told me to try premium gas, to try gas from different stations, that's it's "normal" for up to 10,000 miles to still be burning off.  It is not a mild smell.  It's extremely strong and I agree with the comment above that you can not conduct business with colleagues in a car that smells like rotten eggs.  I have had many new SUVs and cars in my lifetime that have never had this problem.

I have the same issue and just came back from a dealer who was unable to reproduce the smell nor was I when I went there...typical.  I went on a 700 mile trip and did not have the smell come once.  I noticed it only happens when I gun it and when it is pretty warm outside so i was careful but still gunned it a few times.  Now that its been cooler I haven't yet noticed the smell since the visit 2 weeks ago.

#31 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:51 PM

I have the same issue and just came back from a dealer who was unable to reproduce the smell nor was I when I went there...typical. I went on a 700 mile trip and did not have the smell come once.

I have a theory as to what's going on here. (Especially after reading your post above). So this is a theory, so take it for what it's worth.

Dealers will always blame cheap gas rather than the catalytic converter. (In-fact all gasoline comes from the same distubutor, same gas just a difference between the amount of anti-knock added). So gas is the same no mater the brand. If a current well is pumping gas with more sulfur, everyone gets it.

More importantly, ALL cars experience it, and it is very common complaint.

So if it's a common complaint on all cars, and only a few are having problems, what's different? It seems to me that what DOES vary between different cars, is HOW you drive.

When you drive slow and have short hop trips, the sulfur in gas isn't burning it completely and your catalytic converter is storing it; and then releasing it as hydrogen sulfide when you add load to the engine, getting the converter hotter and forcing more air through.

If you do a lot of short hop driving, you may need to blow out that cat with an "Italian tuneup". Try filling up with a tank of premium unleaded and then get out on the superhighway or other open road where you can drive at sustained high speed to heat up the platinum catalyst and burn out the gunk.

This might explain why some cars exhibit no odor problems (like mine, except once or twice a year) and others have it all the time; even though the Edge's or MKX's body, exhaust and engine are built identically.

It would also explain why you usually only smell it under hard acceleration. The catalytic converter has storied the byproducts of the unburned gasoline, then is releasing it as hydrogen sulfide when you add load to the engine and force more air through.

One other fix that I would try, is to use a can of catalytic converter cleaner. This one has a high recommendation:

https://www.amazon.c...6P1EEJG19SMT6M1

Edited by enigma-2, 16 September 2016 - 05:01 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   hns585

hns585

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationDallas
  • My MKX's Year:2011-2014

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:52 PM

I have the same issue and I have been researching the issue online and it seems to be an issue with the Ford Edge as well.  I will let you know that it is not good to be inhaling those fumes and my dealer has refused to do anything about it because the "engineers at Ford in Detroit" don't know what is causing the issue.  I am taking my issue higher to the corporate people now.  I didn't pay $50K for a vehicle to make me sick every day I drive to and from my job. 

#33 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 October 2016 - 06:11 PM

I have the same issue and just came back from a dealer who was unable to reproduce the smell nor was I when I went there...typical.  I went on a 700 mile trip and did not have the smell come once.  I noticed it only happens when I gun it and when it is pretty warm outside so i was careful but still gunned it a few times.  Now that its been cooler I haven't yet noticed the smell since the visit 2 weeks ago.

I can happily say that I have not experienced the smell since the trip.  I hope when summer returns running AC will not bring back the problem.  There have been plenty of warm days since then and nothing yet. 

Moderator, please close this thread as solved...Everybody please go on a 700 road trip!

#34 OFFLINE   myopinion

myopinion

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationFla

Posted 01 November 2016 - 04:10 PM

Just picked up my special order 2016 MKX Reserve 2.7 with AWD after waiting 10 weeks, my once in a lifetime splurge on a car.

Found on the way home after giving it the gun to pass we wound up with fumes in the car and passed it off as new car break in.  Now 2 weeks later and 300 miles the fumes still over come you when you push it harder than driving for economy.  Yes it's the worst when you have the AC on in the recirculate mode, my preferred mode for best efficiency here in the sunshine state.  The problem pretty much goes away if you don't

have the recycle button on when you want to "try out" the engine you paid extra money for.   It is stinking gas fumes entering the car, there are no leaks in the brand new exhaust system because there would be noise at the leak. 

I've come to the conclusion that there is somehow a stronger vacuum created  at the rear of the car when you accelerate and the fumes get sucked under the rear bumper where there must be an exit vent for the (supposed to be) flow through ventilation system.  Maybe you've noticed trailer trucks in a light snow, the snow gets sucked toward the back tires (? drafting)   Remember the 60's flow through ventilation ads with the exit vents under the rear window on the TBird?  Flow through positive ventilation some how rings a bell...when a car is running a small fan also runs constantly to always bring in a small amount of fresh air from the front of the car and had exit vents in the rear door jambs I think, not toward the extreme back of the car.

To make a long story shorter I put duct tape over the L & R rear side vents in the rear cargo area till I get to the dealer to find out how Ford is going to fix this hazardous design problem.  Carbon monoxide pouring into my $56,000 plus ride can't continue.  FANTASTIC CAR otherwise.

If everyone isn't experiencing this it may not be a design problem but an assembly problem...insulation missing, a one way air flow flapper like you would see on a kitchen exhaust vent missing/stuck.   Just remember if enough people complain it will be recalled...health hazard, don't put it off and only complain during oil changes....be a pest,,, getting breathing issues.

#35 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:14 PM

I think you can find your answer above. It took a looong trip for me for it to go away.

#36 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln Mkx

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:19 PM

I used to get a rotten egg smell in my car too.  But, then I stopped having cabbage for lunch and it went away.  

And, on a more serious note, I used to get all kinds of odors in my BMW.  It eventually turned out to be related to a crack in the gas tank.  That's now a surprisingly common problem, because most vehicles have plastic tanks.  In my car, the gas tank cracked, which eventually ruined the fuel pump and gasket.  . 

#37 OFFLINE   myopinion

myopinion

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationFla

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:34 PM

Exhaust fumes should not be getting into a vehicle for any reason except for a sucide attempt in a closed garage.   Didn't I read somewhere that cars have gotten so good that in California a few years back the exhaust was cleaner than the polluted smog air in that state so now air quality has improved with even more cars.

If it's the box design of the SUV that is causing the suction of air back into the cabin and its been going on for years it was time for a fix on the 2016 upgrade.  How difficult would it have been to add a small exhaust fan to the rear vents out to keep a positive outflow out under all conditions including hard acceleration, or simply move the exit vent

further forward of where the exhaust could be back drafted.

Seems as though people are only concerned with bad smelling fumes from pushing it and fuel not burning off right and intruding into the cabin,  to me when not pushing it and fuel burning cleaner there is still the likely hood that fumes are still coming in just not so offensive.   Do the test...Tape one of those CO2  carbon monoxide sniffers to the cargo vents and go for a joy ride....see what if anything happens.

From my new car paperwork......  Lincoln Concierge for any questions you may have    1-800-521-4140

For whatever reason my 2014 CMax Hybrid 2.0 looks like a mini version of the MKX and never has this problem.  The battery pack in the rear has a cooling fan of sorts and maybe it helps with the positive air flow out.

#38 ONLINE   Timmer

Timmer

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Reserve 3.7L AWD

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:57 AM

Have you noticed the cabin odor with hard acceleration after taping over the rear vents?

What were the results of your CO2 sniffer / Joy Ride test?

Also curious what guidance Lincoln Concierge gave on this issue when you called them?

Important issue - Keep us posted...

#39 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:33 PM

Makes sense. Wit the hvac in recirculation mode, the vents in the back are no longer pressurized and may even have a slight back pressure component. If so, there must also be other scavaging ports in a negative area which are acting as outlets (making the rear ports in a slightly more positive location). The exhaust is being sucked in through the back and out in the front. Relocating the rear ports to a more negative zone might be the real solution.

Or duct tape. ("And your new 2016, $54,000 Lincoln comes with its own BRANDED roll of duct tape".) Sorry, the irony is appalling.

Under these conditions, keeping the hvac out of recirculate mode is the only immediate fix. FWIW, I find that while recirculation mode cools colder, normal mode cools the entire car better.

#40 OFFLINE   Adam

Adam

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 02:27 PM

Mine does it when not in re-circ mode.  Interestingly, last weekend when I entered the freeway in a spirited manner, I did not smell the odour.  Only difference was that it was too cold outside the the A/C to be on, if that factors in somehow.

In any event, still not too concerned.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·