Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2016 Lincoln MKX Excessive Road Noise

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:55 PM

My vehicle has less than 3000 miles on it and I have had the noise problem since the first day. I really doubt the Michelin tires are my problem.

Even brand new tires can be defective.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#62 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationOregon & Pacific NW wonderland
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion, 2012 Veloster, 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Select plus

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:03 PM

Back in 1973, I was due for a new car. I ordered a Ford Torino but cancelled due to fuel shortages and bought a gas-sipping Maverick instead. The fuel crisis was an incentive for Ford to mount then French-made Michelin radial tires (a relatively new technology) on the new Mavericks and promote the 6 cylinder inline as a gas-saver fit for the times. Later in 1979, the wife took the Maverick as a partial divorce settlement and finally sold it with a fantastic 93,000 miles on the OEM Michelin tires.

I have no doubt that the MKX's Michelin tires will not last that distance due to the softer M/S and summer tread compounds common today.

#63 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 15 November 2016 - 10:58 AM

Believe I would ask the dealer if you could drive a MKX loaner (if they have one) or any MKX for a comparison. Every MKX I've driven (including the one in the garage) is very quiet.)

If it isn't road noise your hearing, the should be able to isolate it. A test drive will confirm it's the car and not you. If it is road noise, tires are the first culprit, then bearings.

Edited by enigma-2, 15 November 2016 - 10:58 AM.

• VisionPilot likes this

#64 OFFLINE   jrdad

jrdad

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Select-Plus
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 16 February 2017 - 09:59 PM

I had the tires rotated - no difference.

I have stated in prior comments - driving the car on a nice smooth stretch of freshly paved asphalt is a pleasure because it as very quiet.

I think that rules out bearings and most tire issues unless you consider transmitting road noise as a tire issue which it would be. The Michelin tires are rated very high on most tire web sites. I guess that doesn't mean they can't be a one off set.

#65 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:30 PM

It may not matter that the tires ard Michelin, tires that ard quiet on smooth asphalt but noisy on concrete. More related to the tread pattern than the composition. All tires are noisy on hard surfaces such as concrete roads and roads with drain slots cut in.

Edited by enigma-2, 16 February 2017 - 11:32 PM.

#66 OFFLINE   VisionPilot

VisionPilot

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationMidwest
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve AWD

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:52 AM

Believe I would ask the dealer if you could drive a MKX loaner (if they have one) or any MKX for a comparison. Every MKX I've driven (including the one in the garage) is very quiet.)

If it isn't road noise your hearing, the should be able to isolate it. A test drive will confirm it's the car and not you. If it is road noise, tires are the first culprit, then bearings.

I agree, time for a test drive of another similar MKX.

#67 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:05 PM

I would be willing to bet that 10 (or any other number that a driver may fancy) identical current-model MKXs driven at the same speeds over the same section of highway consisting of various pavement ages and compositions would exhibit that each vehicle's road noise pattern & volume is the same. In my vicinity, old worn asphalt pavements made of crushed basalt and similar concrete pavements made with river-run gravel create a deafening thrum in my MKX. However, when driving over the same roads with worn sections replaced by an ultra-fine asphaltic matrix, the MKX is vault-quiet.

Compared to some luxury vehicles with renowned reputations for quietness, I would judge the MKX to just be a grade or two above average vehicles. But, I believe some additional insulation throughout the MKX's structure would reduce the thrum noted by those complaining of road noise.

#68 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln Mkx

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:58 PM

That's a great post, and a really sensible take on things.

#69 OFFLINE   greyfox47

greyfox47

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationErie, CO
  • Current Vehicle:2017 MKX

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:25 PM

Isn't ANC standard on all models or are the Lincoln brochures & order guides wrong?

ANC is NOT standard. I called Lincoln on this very subject. Like most cars, when you watch the videos or do a rare manual reading, they don't give you much of a clue as to whether any feature is standard or an option. Looking at their latest brochure, you will see that it is listed as an available option for all trim levels. The trickiest part is finding it if you are doing a "build your own" from the Lincoln website. Good luck with that. Look on your window sticker or do a VIN decode inquiry, if it isn't listed, you don't have it. 

#70 OFFLINE   MKXTonyZ

MKXTonyZ

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Vehicle:2012 MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2011-2014

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:31 PM

My wife has a 2012 MKX we bought used, but in perfect condition with almost every option (20" wheels). We went on a trip last week and I told her that it had quite a bit of road noise, definitely worse than my Tahoe. It is particularly loud over older concrete highway and much quieter over decent asphalt.

Thanks for sharing the fixes you have done.

I was considering having it coated with sound deaden-er, which turns out to be triple thick rustproofing. I think I will try the above first.

#71 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:33 AM

Its been my experience that most road noise is attributed to the tires on the car. (And how worn they are, older tires and noise than new). The difference in noise levels between tire brands is huge. A good place to compare different brands/series is Tirerack.Com.

On my 09 MKX I'm running Bridgestone's Dulers and they are very quiet.

#72 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:57 AM

Its been my experience that most road noise is attributed to the tires on the car. (And how worn they are, older tires and noise than new). The difference in noise levels between tire brands is huge. A good place to compare different brands/series is Tirerack.Com.

On my 09 MKX I'm running Bridgestone's Dulers and they are very quiet.

I agree.  I've also noticed the factory tires were very quiet for the first 7500 miles but have gotten somewhat noisier over the last 7500+ miles.   Not terrible but noticeable.

#73 OFFLINE   jrdad

jrdad

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Select-Plus

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:25 AM

Several months ago I drove through a car wash and was astounded by the sound coming from the roof as the high
pressure jets went across it.

When I got home I tapped around on the roof with a knuckle and it was sounded like a tin roof on a barn.

This may be why the models with the sliding glass roof are quieter than mine. I suspect the glass and framing
mechanism are much stronger and produce/transmit much less noise.

Looking at the roof from inside the car it looks like it is well padded and should reduce the noise. Not so. What you
see inside the car is not attached to the roof. There was only a thin piece of cardboard between the interior padding
and the metal roof.

I had some more sound deadening put in the roof of the car. I got rid of a lot of the surround sound rumble. Now it
sounds more like the tires on the road.

Edited by jrdad, 03 November 2017 - 10:26 AM.

#74 OFFLINE   Rick65inlosangeles

Rick65inlosangeles

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX, 1986 Lincoln Mark VII, 1971 Lincoln Mark III, 1968 Mercury Park Lane Brougham

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:27 PM

I was reading through all the responses to my original post and thought I would reenter the forum on this subject again.  Over the past year and a half my MKX has been at the dealer for a number of “small” issues and the loaners were usually MKC’s, but last month I had a new Lincoln Continental for a week and then a new MKX for a couple of hours while they replaced the glove box.  They managed to break the clip that holds the cable to the side of the glove box when they were replacing the cabin air filter the week before.  Talk about not being cost effective, the clip isn’t available for they had to replace the entire box frame and door.  So a .20 clip cost Lincoln about $800 for the door.  Who do they think they are, the US Government?

The new Lincoln Continental is really quite lovely.  Has a wonderful ride and is quieter than the MKX, but still picks up road noise from the low-profile tires.  The standard seats in the Continental are “TRASH” for someone that’s tall and needs extra thigh support. SO glad I got the 22 way seats on my ’16 MKX.  Plus the new MKX I had for a couple of hours was just a noisy as mine before I insulated the floor pan.

Comparing old to new, I would say that my 71 Lincoln Continental Mark III is quieter than the new Lincoln Continental or the MKX.  Even my 86 Mark VII is quieter then the new Lincoln Continental even if it is smaller and doesn’t handle or have the punch of the new Continental.  Mark III is built on a frame where the 86 is Unibody, but both vehicles had tons of sound insulation compared to the new vehicles. Don’t understand why Ford/Lincoln can’t install more body sound insulation.  Perhaps it production time to install it and it’s easier to have active noise canceling.

BTW: Talking about earlier vehicles vis later ones.  My vin ends in xxx30017 Ordered 4-20-2015, had a built date of 7-21-2015, shipped from Oakville in 8-21-2015, arrived in Mira Lona, CA 8-31-2015, arrived dealer 9-8-2015, and delivered on 9-10-2015.  SO, you can see there was a one month hold in the lot at Oakville before it was shipped.  Missing parts or rework?  

#75 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:45 PM

There's another contributor to the vehicle hold time between build dates and shipping dates during the Spring 2015-Summer 2016 period...an acute shortage of bi-level rail cars to accommodate the taller ~7.2 million trucks & SUVs built during the period. At the time, there were 250,000 vehicles awaiting shipment vis-a-vis a normal period's 70,000. In response, the rail shipping industry committed to adding 4,000 new rail cars in 2015 and 2,700 more in 2016. Ford & Toyota were commonly complaining in the automotive media.

#76 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:34 PM

Rick - I'm going to guess you had your car serviced at Star Ford. Nearly every time I went there, they broke something inside the car.

#77 OFFLINE   Rick65inlosangeles

Rick65inlosangeles

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX, 1986 Lincoln Mark VII, 1971 Lincoln Mark III, 1968 Mercury Park Lane Brougham

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:58 PM

Rick - I'm going to guess you had your car serviced at Star Ford. Nearly every time I went there, they broke something inside the car.

Yes it was Star Ford-Lincoln.  This is the first time I’ve had a problem.  A couple of years ago they were even willing to work on my nearly thirty year old Mark VII when I had a problem after my 2010 MKX was totaled in an accident. The Mark VII became my daily driver for about four months while waiting for the ’16 MKX.  They even picked up the bill for the rental car while fixing the Mark.  Now that service.

But on the LMC survey, I let the dealer have it for breaking the clip and not reporting it. At that point management didn’t know. When I took the car back for the new glove box they were apologizing all over the place and said the technician was called on the carpet for breaking the clip and not reporting it. 

#78 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:33 AM

I had my Sync 3 replaced by then. They returned my Mkx with all the USB ports deactivated. The little chubby box that had the usb port in it had the felt covering torn in multiple places. The also took a chunk out of the plastic covering in the USB port.

I had a piece of trim on true dash replaced (it was loose and kept forcing open). That took three trips. They finally return the vehicle with the cracks and a nice chunk missing from the wood trim on the side of the front console.

I've never had a dealer repeatedly damage my vehicle before.

What happened to you is a related pattern for Star.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·