Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2016 Lincoln MKX Excessive Road Noise

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   jrdad

jrdad

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Select-Plus
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:38 PM

I had to take my car in to get a piece of trim reseated. While I was there I again complained about road noise. I had made sound recordings of the noise and played the worst case recording for the service manager. I will attach the sound recording. I also questioned whether the Active Noise Control (ANC) was actually working in the front of the car because it was just super quiet in the back seat.

He checked his records and found my car was getting a recall for the throttle valve. He gave me an MKC to drive while mine was being serviced.

The MKC was a delight to drive. The engine is a little rocket. I had to keep telling myself to stop hot-rodding around before I get a ticket.

The MKC was also the noisiest car I have ever driven. Even worse than mine and a rough ride to boot. It makes my MKX sound good.

They kept my car for three weeks. The throttle valve was not replaced. It was just reprogrammed. The trim was replaced because it would not stay in place. They got a response from a Hotline Assistance Request on the ANC. I will paraphrase the answer. Why three weeks?

The Description and Operation section of the WSM415-00C says the ANC is an audio system feature that eliminates a certain range of low frequency engine noise within the passenger compartment typically induced under wide open throttle or heavy part-throttle conditions. Driving in “D” the ANC will reduce engine sounds in the passenger compartment and in “S” the sounds of the engine should be more pronounced.

According to that the ANC is only used to attenuate engine noise and will not have any effect on road noise.

The service manager and I had a nice long talk. In effect getting anything done by Lincoln is like fighting City Hall. I thanked him for a good try.

Attached Files

Edited by jrdad, 13 November 2016 - 05:00 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   NOTMY911

NOTMY911

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOttawa
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:31 PM

...  According to that the ANC is only used to attenuate engine noise and will not have any effect on road noise...

Actually, in the last couple of month I noticed more engine noise than the previous 8 months.  So when the car was in for scheduled maintenance I complaint about the noise.

When I pick-up the car they say that the ANC was OK.  I ask them how they check that because unlike my noise cancellation headphone there is no on/off switch.  At that moment the ANC really kick in because I did not hear anything from the service guy...

Does anybody knows how they check that or how to turn it off (pulling a fuse)? If its through the audio systems the fuse should turn it off.

• VisionPilot and Timmer like this

"NOTMY911":  2016 MKX Reserve 102A, Ingot Silver, 3.7 AWD, Driver Assistance Pck, Technology Pck, Climate Pck, 22 Way Seats, Sync 3  

"JJ 911SC":     1983 911 Cabriolet, Grand Prix White

#43 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln Mkx

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:02 AM

I'm perplexed by the road noise complaints. I to live in Los Angeles, and I drive regularly on classic highways. I have the 21 inch tires. My Mkx is the quietest vehicle I've owned. I actually have passengers ask me about why the vehicle is so quiet.

Loss of things I don't like about this car but noise is a non issue,imo.
  • Timmer likes this

#44 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:02 AM

I'm perplexed by the road noise complaints. I to live in Los Angeles, and I drive regularly on craptastic whighways. I have the 21 inch tires. My Mkx is the quietest vehicle I've owned. I actually have passengers ask me about why the vehicle is so quiet.

#45 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:38 AM

I'm perplexed by the road noise complaints. I to live in Los Angeles, and I drive regularly on craptastic whighways. I have the 21 inch tires. My Mkx is the quietest vehicle I've owned. I actually have passengers ask me about why the vehicle is so quiet.

Ditto.  Same for wind noise.  I just don't have either one with the exception of one stretch of road a couple of counties over where we got some road noise but even then it wasn't bad.   Otherwise it is as quiet as a bank vault.  I also have the 21s.

• Timmer likes this

#46 OFFLINE   jrdad

jrdad

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:00 AM

There is a striking difference in road noise between riding in the back seat and riding in the front seat. Riding in the back is very quiet. There are stretches of road in this area that are quiet but it not the norm. Most of those roads are new concrete or smooth asphalt.

I wish my car was as quiet as you say yours is but I have passengers comment on the loud road noise.

I feel there is something wrong with the assembly of the vehicle. I found out many years ago that it is easy to get noise and vibration transmitted to the vehicle body. I installed a floor shift in a Chevy Impala and the noise was awful. Close inspection showed a point where the floor board was in contact with the floor shift. A little cutting and bending got rid of the noise.

If you are going to purchase one of these vehicles be sure you test drive it on a surface of your choice to test for road noise.

Edited by jrdad, 14 November 2016 - 10:00 AM.

#47 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:18 AM

I'm not discounting that you have problems, just saying that it's not normal.  Could be a mechanical problem or the ANC.   It would be nice if we could turn the ANC off and on for testing.   Have you tried rotating the tires to see if the noise moves to the rear?  That would mean it's probably a tire issue.

#48 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:37 AM

I'm not discounting the road noise either and I'm also not going to argue that the MKX is perfect. It's a flawed vehicle in need of some refinement, IMO. Also,Lincoln service is abysmal (at least in los angles). But, noise is not an issue. I'd go so far as to call the vehicle serene. Probably the quietest vehicle I ever owned.

#49 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:24 AM

Another option is to check a similar vehicle at the dealer and see if it has the same noise.  If not see if they'll swap tires temporarily.

#50 OFFLINE   jrdad

jrdad

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:35 PM

I am also disappointed in the Lincoln service. They are totally unequipped for this issue. Their response is to have a technician test drive the car and listen. The technician comes back and says “I don’t hear anything. It sounds like the rest of the cars.” If I told that to one of my supervisors I would be on a fast track to the front door.

They don’t have any calibrated equipment to test the loudness (db) or the frequencies (Hz) involved. One of their technicians drove my car before I had any sound deadening material installed and several months later with it installed. He couldn’t tell the difference. “I don’t hear anything. It sounds like the rest of the cars.” His calibrated ear isn’t working. That’s why I started making recordings and checking the frequency spectrum and loudness.

In one of my previous comments is the response to your ANC question. The ANC only attenuates the engine noise according to Ford/Lincoln. I suspect if I pulled the radio fuse it would shut down the ANC but I haven’t tried it yet.

I have some doubts about the tires being the problem but I will get them to rotate the tires to see what happens.

Edited by jrdad, 14 November 2016 - 01:36 PM.

#51 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:19 PM

I believe the term Lincoln uses is "powertrain" noises which may include road noise.  It specifically says that it allows certain sounds like the engine when accelerating.  This leads me to believe it suppresses more than just engine noises.

#52 OFFLINE   jrdad

jrdad

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:12 PM

Here is a copy of the document sent to the technician in response to his Hotline Request about the ANC. They gave me a copy.

Attached Files

Edited by jrdad, 14 November 2016 - 03:13 PM.

#53 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:36 PM

Are you "certain" it's not the tires? Cheap tires can drive a person nutz.

What tires did your MKX come with?

#54 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationOregon & Pacific NW wonderland
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion, 2012 Veloster, 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Select plus

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:20 PM

The 245/60/18 Michelin Premier LTX retails at ~ $200 and is reputed to be a quiet tire in reviews.

#55 OFFLINE   NOTMY911

NOTMY911

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOttawa
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX

Posted 14 November 2016 - 06:48 PM

When it come to road noise you have to compare same size, same roads against different Brand which is not practical.  Consumer survey like the one at tire rack can be helpful.

Mine MKX came with Hankook VENTUS S1 NOBLE2 245/50/20 (Ultra High Performance All-Season) which rank 11 overall and 5th for Noise (8.4)

http://www.tirerack....=N&sortValue=12

"NOTMY911":  2016 MKX Reserve 102A, Ingot Silver, 3.7 AWD, Driver Assistance Pck, Technology Pck, Climate Pck, 22 Way Seats, Sync 3  

"JJ 911SC":     1983 911 Cabriolet, Grand Prix White

#56 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationOregon & Pacific NW wonderland
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion, 2012 Veloster, 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Select plus

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:56 PM

I have the 225/40/18 Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 on another of my vehicles...great tire. They replaced some extremely harsh Kumho Solus rubber.

#57 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:37 PM

The 245/60/18 Michelin Premier LTX retails at ~ $200 and is reputed to be a quiet tire in reviews.

Just went through a review of tires for my MKX. Considered the Michelin (1st Choice actually), they were the quietist, smoothest and had the highest rating on Tirerack.Com.

However their service life was one of the shortest after reviewing Amazon.com ratings. (TireRack ratings were written after only a couple hundred miles, not the multi-thousand mile review I look for.) People reported tires needing replacment at 20k miles. (Actually had this happen to me with high-end Michelin's years ago. Ran through the soft rubber around 25k and the hard rubber underneath became loud and hard riding. Like two different tires, like a heavy truck. Was told by the tire guy at Sams (where I had originally purchased) that that was normal for Michelin's. (Thought they had gotten beyond this, but after reading reviews, looks like they haven't changed anything, other than a better tread design.)

Anyway, I talked to the service manager at local Ford dealer and he concurred. Said they gave a great ride for 20,000-25,000 miles because they use a soft rubber compound. (They sell both.)

After further review, went with the Bridgestone Dueler's. Same as what I had on them. 35,000-40,000 miles, they were still fairly quiet after all those miles.

Edited by enigma-2, 14 November 2016 - 08:44 PM.

#58 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:48 PM

When it come to road noise you have to compare same size, same roads against different Brand which is not practical. Consumer survey like the one at tire rack can be helpful.

I agree, but pay particular care to how many miles they had driven before posting their review. All tire are great in the first 1000 miles or so, and most reviews are written soon after they mount the tires.

Better still is to check multiple sites and look for 20,000 mile reviews, on the car in question. Amazon.com is also another good place to look.

#59 OFFLINE   jrdad

jrdad

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:40 PM

My vehicle has less than 3000 miles on it and I have had the noise problem since the first day. I really doubt the Michelin tires are my problem.

#60 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 November 2016 - 09:47 PM

Its too bad you don't live in LA, Jrdad.  I'd be happy to let you drive my vehicle to see if it is different.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·