Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2016 Lincoln MKX Excessive Road Noise

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jrdad

jrdad

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Select-Plus
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:09 AM

It was almost $500 to do all that work in the rear. Well worth the cost. The rear of the car is incredibly quiet.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   mmoretti

mmoretti

MKX Member

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Lincoln MKC Reserve AWD
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:21 AM

It was almost $500 to do all that work in the rear. Well worth the cost. The rear of the car is incredibly quiet.

that's not bad, can you tell they did it?  I get freaked having anyone "rip' anything up in my car.  I used to consider that stuff for audiophile purposes but never wanted anyone taking apart my car.  Do you have the Revel audio and is there any change in the sound after the installation?

#23 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:59 AM

I wonder if insulating the wheelwells wouldn't make it even quieter? It's the wheels that generate the noise and the sound should be the loudest in the wells.

#24 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:00 PM

My Reserve already has felt lining the wheel wells.  It was pointed out by the salesperson on our test drive.

#25 OFFLINE   jrdad

jrdad

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:20 PM

The reason I started in the back of the car was because I didn't want them taking off panels that might be an issue going back in place. I chose the easiest least involved area to start with - the back.

They wanted to pull the quarter panels and I said no, just do the full floor from under the rear seats to the bumper.

The spare tire cover just lifts up and comes right out.

That exposes the two tool compartments. The foam tool compartments come right out if you just lift on them. They use push on - pull off fasteners.

Take out the spare and lift out the carpet. You are now down to the painted metal in the hatch area.

The rear seats also lift up from the cabin side using push - pull fasteners. You have to take the seat back release mechanism off the seats. At this point it is completely open.

All of that is very easy to do and doesn't require any special care and there are very few cables/wires to deal with under the carpet.

The front is a different story. wires everywhere, power seat mechanisms, connectors, center console, etc....

A guy who is handy and not as old as I am could do this himself and probably spend under $200.

The Audio Pros guy said the dampening material changes the frequency of the sounds as well as damping them out. I don't get tinny sounds when I thump the floor anymore. It's a dull thud.

#26 OFFLINE   jrdad

jrdad

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:24 PM

I do not have the Revel system and am not an audiophile. Sorry I can's answer that question. I do know installing this material is standard procedure for a lot of speaker installations. Thus Audio Pros.

#27 ONLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationOregon & Pacific NW wonderland
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion, 2012 Veloster, 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Select plus

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:32 PM

Many of us WW II (pre & post) era folks can remember the thick carpets underlain with 3/8-1/2 inch felt padding in vehicles of those days, even in some modestly priced vehicles, but certainly in my 1950s Oldsmobiles & Cadillacs.

I was very disappointed at the carpeting & insulation in my MKX. On the other hand, I was impressed at Lincoln's response to test driver's reports of vibes around the dead pedal area in test mules. It was corrected by reinforcing the area with a heavy structural plate in production vehicles.

#28 ONLINE   Timmer

Timmer

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Reserve 3.7L AWD

Posted 16 July 2016 - 03:34 PM

Interesting thread and great pics!

It is disappointing to learn of the "standard" thin carpeting and no padding or underlayment in the MKX.  

I've heard of the DynaMat and DynaPad products mentioned in this thread by Rick65 and jrdad, but have never used them.

Really glad to hear adding it helped reduce the road noise.  If excessive this would bug me to no end as well...

Depending on road noise level, this solution sounds like something I may opt for.  But I am curious - Would any of the aftermarket disassembly and the DynaMat/DynaPad addition void or have an impact on the bumper to bumper warranty?

Timmer

#29 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:53 PM

But I am curious - Would any of the aftermarket disassembly and the DynaMat/DynaPad addition void or have an impact on the bumper to bumper warranty?

Timmer

Not unless you damage something during the install. But that wouldn't affect the rest of the vehicle warranty.

#30 OFFLINE   VisionPilot

VisionPilot

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationMidwest
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve AWD

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:01 AM

Every review I've read of the '16 MKX says it is one of the quietest cars ever tested, even surpassing the new Lexus RX, so I'm surprised to read this thread.

Is the lack of insulation a quality control issue, something that should have been installed, but was neglected at assembly? 

#31 ONLINE   Timmer

Timmer

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Reserve 3.7L AWD

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:09 PM

If it is as described, the MKX carpeting is surely a Ford/Lincoln cost-saving choice rather than a QC issue.  

And if as described, it seems like skimping to me.  Especially for what is their high-end luxury brand.

But perhaps "less then plush" carpeting and no underlayment is now the industry norm...

Timmer

#32 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:10 PM

It's hard to call it skimping when the tests show it to be much quieter than the competition ( or at least just as quiet). And they go so far as to put felt material in the wheel wells.

99% of the time our reserve is quiet as a bank vault. The only time we've had any road noise was on a particular stretch of older road a couple of weeks ago.

I suspect there is a certain combination of frequencies/vibrations that it isn't tuned for or there is a flaw in the noise cancellation algorithm.
  • thisguy159 and Timmer like this

#33 ONLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:17 PM

The non-plush carpeting in my MKX is backed by an underlayment of perhaps 3/8" (or less). The carpeting in my 2010 Fusion appears identical to the MKX, but when depressed with a thumb there is a backing of some sort that depresses 1/2-5/8 inches and feels very spongy. The Fusion carpet is without seams and so well installed I couldn't find a place that would allow access to examine what the underlayment material is.

Edited by Cosmos36, 17 July 2016 - 05:55 PM.

• Timmer likes this

#34 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX

Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:51 AM

I am so disappointing with the MKX engine, stupid bean counters.  I read that back in the 60's ford put in 7.5 liter engines in their cars the good ol' days.  I have decided to do a transplant and put one of those engines in because I find the acceleration of my current car inadequate, I know, I know the ecoboost engines routinely test as the quickest in its class but they are wrong!  I will put some pictures up as soon as I get my polaroid camera working...stupid cellphones, don't even get me started on those.  I cannot wait to get the swap gets complete...I hope it still starts okay in the winter. :thumbsup:

Edited by thisguy159, 18 July 2016 - 09:32 AM.

#35 ONLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:18 AM

I'm going to donate my MKX to Goodwill and buy a 2017 Ford GT. For a measly $400,000 I won't have to contend with bean counters. And, with a dedicated dust free service area accessible only to specifically trained mechanics using tools made only for the GT (e.g. a $700 tranny jack), my concerns about shoddy maintenance can be put to rest.

#36 OFFLINE   jrdad

jrdad

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:55 AM

I still believe the higher levels of the MKX have more sound deadening material added. Please note I have a Select-Plus without the sunroof.

Most of the reviews I have read are on the Reserve or better models. I have read in their propaganda the Black Label models have even more sound proofing done to satisfy their customers.

Akirby can you describe where you saw this felt in the wheel well ?

#37 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:49 PM

Umm....in the wheel well?   I'll try to upload a pic.

#38 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:56 PM

Pics

Attached Files

• Timmer likes this

#39 OFFLINE   jrdad

jrdad

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:42 PM

Akirby, thanks for the pictures. Yes I do have this material in my wheel wells. I wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing. It seems to be a rubber or plastic with felt material sprayed on or perhaps integral within the material. Some places I tapped on it sounded rather hard.

By the way the sound deadening material used by Audio Pros was called Roadkill, a product similar to Dynamat. Strangely fitting name.

#40 OFFLINE   jrdad

jrdad

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:37 PM

I drove the car for a while but the noise was still bothering me, especially at highway speeds.

I had my wife drive while I sat in the back seat and the area behind me sounded like a dead zone but a lot of noise was coming from the front.

I finally had enough of the rumble and took the car back to Audio Pros and told them to finish the project. They applied the sound deadening material from the back floor board all the way as far as they could go up under the dash. This required taking out the front seats and side panels on the console.

Omar at Audio Pros did a fantastic job. I can’t tell they were even in the car. Everything is back right where it is supposed to be.

How does it sound? It is much quieter now.

Did it get rid of the noise? No, but all the high frequency noise is gone. To me it is so much better than it was I can start liking the car now.

I will attach a graph of the sound spectrum before and after sound deadening material was applied to the front of the car. I wish I had thought to get a chart on the car before I started adding any of the sound deadening material. The spectrum chart is from 0 to 5000 Hz.

This is closer to what Lincoln should have been selling in the first place. I can’t imagine Lincoln advertising luxury cars and having one sound like mine did. Their advertising sound bite is “Quiet Luxury” I got the Luxury but not the Quiet. Their reputation will only degrade.

Attached Files

Edited by jrdad, 13 November 2016 - 04:56 PM.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·