Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Battery Issues?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   fredluke

fredluke

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOakville
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:32 PM

Too funny!!!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   inspector_8

inspector_8

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationCatoosa, OK
  • Current Vehicle:2008 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:05 PM

My MKX 2008 is driving me crazy. Battery dies AA says it's good Twice. Battery light came on went to Auto Zone and everything tested good, light went out. Went 60 miles started went to restaurant when started batt light came on. Drove about 40 miles as everything was shutting off, including headlights, then the map light started flashing as the engine sputtered. Just as I was pulling over everything came back to life and it was running fine for about 10 minutes. So I switched on A/C and it started running down again. About ten miles from home quit and towed home by AAA. Oreilly tested it and said alternator bad, and my voltage meter agreed( under 12 volts). Changed alternator (worst auto repair I've done in fifty years of auto repairs) Car seemed fine now it's doing the same thing. Another wrinkle battery cable got so hot it melted the tape on it and hot enough to burn my finger! I believe there is a intermittent short!

Does anyone know where it is???

Tom

#43 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:34 PM

Bad cell in battety. (Shorting on sulfate that builds up in bottom and across plates). I would put in a new battery.

Fwiw I would go with a larger size, the one spec for trailer towing. Minor upgrade in cost but extended life overall.

#44 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:44 PM

Why is it that so many folks assume the battery is ok? Replace the battery any time you replace the alternator unless it's brand new - chances are pretty good it's bad.

If it's > 3 yrs old and you're having starting problems or other strange problems, just replace the battery first.

#45 OFFLINE   richy

richy

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationWindsor

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:01 PM

I had my new '16 for 2 days and the battery was dead.  I had parked it outside and locked it.  Roadside assistance came and gave it a jump.  I placed it on a battery charger for 8 hours and it still would not start.  Even using jumper cables, I had to have the donor car running; it would not start with just battery to battery connection.  The bloody Lincoln dealer couldn't fit me in for 3 days!  I called my friend at the Ford dealer and was taken in immediately.  They tested the battery and found a bad cell and replaced it.  They also (and upon my request) did a load test on it and it passed.  One thing I noticed after I parked it in my garage at night (prior to the new battery) was that after the interior lights went out, the LED lights surrounding the radio knobs stayed illuminated (it was unlocked).  I know that's a tiny draw.  I told the tech about it and he suggested locking the car in the garage as I guess when you lock it, it shuts everything down whereas if you don't, some things can stay "connected".  New battery yesterday.  Locked it last night.  No issue today.  So far, so good.

Edited by richy, 16 July 2017 - 12:02 AM.

• Cosmos36 and Timmer like this

#46 OFFLINE   tberg

tberg

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:Jaguar XKR, Buick Enclave, De Tomaso Pantera, '68 GTO, '78 Datsun 280Z, 1958 Corvette
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:22 AM

We had our 2016 Black Label for about a week or two (CPO car with 5900 miles) when we went out to start the car and battery was dead.  It wouldn't jump, but I put it on my charger for 30 minutes and it started and then had no problems.  I researched on the internet possible TSBs and causes and found one that related to the audio system draining the battery requiring a software update.  I took it to the dealer, had other service work done (oil change...), software update, battery tested, and haven't had a problem in the last couple of months.  Battery issues plague every car manufacturer nowadays as it's a constant topic on the Jaguar Forums where I participate, and I know it is well documented on BMW forums as well.  

#47 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

... I told the tech about it and he suggested locking the car in the garage as I guess when you lock it, it shuts everything down whereas if you don't, some things can stay "connected". New battery yesterday. Locked it last night. No issue today. So far, so good.

Not quite everything.

For one, the wireless radio is on looking for yor IA (otherwise you would need a key to unlock the door).

And the wireless radio to wirelessly remote start the car.

And the perimeter security alarm is actuvated.

Impact alarm (if you have one).

The timer circuit is activated for fifteen or twenty minutes (the circuit that kills ((or is supposed to kill)) all electrical draw in the SJB after a set period of time).

Let's see, what am I forgetting?

#48 OFFLINE   richy

richy

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationWindsor

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:33 PM

It's a bloody wonder it lasts a week!!

#49 ONLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts
  • LocationOregon & Pacific NW wonderland
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion, 2012 Veloster, 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Select plus

Posted 16 July 2017 - 11:09 PM

If it wasn't so boring, it would be easy to envy those who live in communities where transportation needs are provided by street-legal golf carts with minimal maintenance and no car payments.

Edited by Cosmos36, 16 July 2017 - 11:10 PM.

• Timmer likes this

#50 ONLINE   Timmer

Timmer

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Reserve 3.7L AWD

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:50 AM

If it wasn't so boring, it would be easy to envy those who live in communities where transportation needs are provided by street-legal golf carts with minimal maintenance and no car payments.

Been there, done that.  You're right, Cosmos. It was boring... (yawn)

• Cosmos36 likes this

#51 OFFLINE   cbala

cbala

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNYC

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:41 PM

Adding to the thread, my battery died after 18mo's around 20K, replaced for 6mo now, fine so far...

-chris

#52 OFFLINE   VisionPilot

VisionPilot

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationMidwest
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve AWD

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:43 AM

Last Monday after the vehicle had been parked for two days, the battery was DEAD!

Called Lincoln Roadside Assistance and within thirty minutes AAA was out and testing the battery.  4.2 volts.  They jumped started the vehicle and the charging system  checked ok. Gave me the report.  Drove the vehicle directly to Star Lincoln for system checking and they replaced the battery.  Only problem was waiting for three hours as they didn't have the battery in stock.

Anyone else have any problems?

As of this morning, I'm now a member of the dead battery club.  Car only sat for 30 hours.  First time this has happened in the 14 months since purchased new.  I'm waiting for the dealer to open to make the call....

Edited by VisionPilot, 12 October 2017 - 07:07 AM.

#53 ONLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts
  • LocationOregon & Pacific NW wonderland
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion, 2012 Veloster, 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Select plus

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:12 AM

It would be interesting to know if the battery failure rate is the same in all current MKX models, i.e. are Reserve models with all the optional electronic features more likely to suffer a battery failure than a less-endowed Premier/Select model. Perhaps there are too many variables involving e.g. climate & usage patterns of various features to determine a nexus with battery failure.

My early 2016 has often sat unused for periods of 2-3 weeks while gone on vacation with no battery issues. On the other hand, I have seldom used any electronic features, even the radio, since purchase two years ago. I wonder if the replacement batteries owners are receiving are hardier than the OEM units.

• VisionPilot likes this

#54 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:57 AM

Mine sits for 3 to 4 days every 2 to 3 weeks at the airport no issue. Flying back today watch me get f*****.
  • VisionPilot likes this

#55 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:09 PM

Here's a good write-up on how batteries die prematurely. (Spoiler, about 50% run low on water due to evaporation, and are never checked nor topped off with additional distilled water).
https://www.batterys...teries-die.html

Been talked about before, but this is the BEST battery tester you can buy (within reason). This tester will tell you the real state of tbe battety and charging system. This a better tester than they use at your dealer's.
SOLAR BA7 100-1200 CCA Electronic Battery and System Tester https://www.amazon.c...a_Kd73zbDY6WCY4

Edited by enigma-2, 12 October 2017 - 01:17 PM.

• VisionPilot likes this

#56 OFFLINE   thisguy159

thisguy159

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:38 PM

Mine sits for 3 to 4 days every 2 to 3 weeks at the airport no issue. Flying back today watch me get f*****.

I know you all worked ...all good...love starting my car with my app.

Edited by thisguy159, 12 October 2017 - 06:38 PM.

#57 OFFLINE   VisionPilot

VisionPilot

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationMidwest
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve AWD

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:18 PM

Battery was replaced this morning.  We'll see how long this one lasts.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·