Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX - Lincoln Nautilus Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Battery Issues?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   rst08tierney

rst08tierney

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUSA
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 17 September 2016 - 11:47 AM

Definitely there is something going on, I have had my battery replaced twice, but luckily mine has never gone dead. I took my MKX in for other services, and they replaced the battery. I need to look at my receipt, because I remember the mechanic telling me that they replaced another part.

My battery went dead 13 hrs after purchase. It could not hold a charge and was replaced. Another lady in the waiting room with me purchase a black label from the show room 2 weeks prior and was there for her second battery replacement.

Interestingly enough I'm very interested in jaguars new f pace and people on their forums have the same issue and reported a factory flooded. a 3rd party was sourced for batterys causing the issues.

I wonder is both company's sourced from the same vendor

Edited by rst08tierney, 17 September 2016 - 11:47 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:13 PM

"According to battery university, battery failure is seldom caused by a factory defect; driving habits are the more common culprits. Heavy accessory power when driving short distance prevents a periodic fully saturated charge that is so important for the longevity of a lead acid battery."

"A common cause of battery failure is acid stratification. The electrolyte on a stratified battery concentrates on the bottom, causing the upper half of the cell to be acid poor. This effect is similar to a cup of coffee in which the sugar collects on the bottom when the waitress forgets to bring the stirring spoon. Batteries tend to stratify if kept at low charge (below 80%) and never have the opportunity to receive a full charge. Short distance driving while running windshield wiper and electric heaters contributes to this. Acid stratification reduces the overall performance of the battery."

Just one other possibility of what may be happening.

https://www.amazon.c...w/d/B0079JWMME/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Edited by enigma-2, 18 September 2016 - 12:14 PM.

#23 ONLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

Posted 18 September 2016 - 12:47 PM

My c-tek charger will recondition the battery to reduce or eliminate stratification.

#24 OFFLINE   fredluke

fredluke

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOakville
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:06 PM

Well I'm back to the dealer.

Las Oct I had a dead battery and had it towed to my dealer in Oakville. Problem was software apparently causing the vehicles electronics to wake up randomly draining the battery. My dealer did the fix and installed a new battery.

Now after driving from Oakville to Southern Cal with no issues I simply parked the vehicle as usual and approx. 4 hrs later my app showed a battery voltage drop. I hurried out to start it so I could at least see what is happening. Noooo!!! vehicle was totally dead...nada.

Called roadside assistance next morning and had it towed to the local Lincoln dealer here. She was very polite and sympathetic to my issue. She explained that there is an outstanding modem update and throttle body replacement. She then retracted the throttle body comment as her screen showed my build date already had the new modified part. Her screen showed the previous battery issue from my home dealer and said it is strange that the issue has replicated. She handed me a loaner and said she will contact me as soon as she knows what happened.

So far I like this dealer. I was shuffled up the line to get service and was treated like a high end customer.  Will update when I hear more. As I said many times....because I was treated so well...my vehicles problem seemed minor as I felt like the dealer was concerned or at least left the impression of same. I drove home as if it was another day NOT thinking of MKX quality issues or it shouldn't have broken down or thinking bad things about Lincoln. 

• richy and Cosmos36 like this

#25 ONLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:56 PM

I really wish Ford would figure out these battery issues.  Nowadays you almost need to have a battery tester and charger and check it once a month.

• richy likes this

#26 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationOregon & Pacific NW wonderland
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion, 2012 Veloster, 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Select plus

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:11 PM

The battery issue is a will o' the wisp...kinda like the wind noise & exhaust fumes. Fortunately, after nearly 16 months my MKX remains a virgin.

#27 OFFLINE   walkabout

walkabout

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln Mkx
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:21 PM

Yeah, I've had no battery, wind noise, or exhaust fumes issues.

My issues have all been nearly entirely fit and finish or dealer inflicted. 

#28 OFFLINE   VisionPilot

VisionPilot

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationMidwest
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve AWD

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:35 AM

When I bought my car back in August, the sales person was telling me about a customer with a dying battery issue.  It was traced to a short, or connector issue in the cable harness that ran inside the roof liner to the rear hatch area.

#29 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:42 AM

Ouch! That would likely require an invasive procedure to fix...CRINGE!

#30 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:45 PM

Tough one to find. Must have taken a lot time and energy to track it down. (Did he say if it was under warranty)?

#31 OFFLINE   VisionPilot

VisionPilot

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationMidwest
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve AWD

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:13 PM

Tough one to find. Must have taken a lot time and energy to track it down. (Did he say if it was under warranty)?

Was a brand new MKX, so yes.  I'm not sure how invasive it was though...   

#32 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:52 PM

In some dealer's shops that I've experienced over several decades, even changing oil & a filter has proven to be invasive. From my recall of observing vehicle assembly lines in action, I can just imagine what some clumsy inexperienced hands could do to a headliner trying to replace a wiring harness, either by threading it through and/or removing the headliner.

#33 OFFLINE   fredluke

fredluke

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationOakville

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:47 PM

Dealer called me last Friday. They need the car longer. Cannot find fault and she said the techs are contacting Lincoln for some technical advice. Haven't heard anything more as of end of day today.

My loaner is a 2017 Expedition. There are more seats in this thing than Cinamax. This monster is so huge I can't reach the radio. HA!

I'll keep updating. 

• VisionPilot and Timmer like this

#34 OFFLINE   Rick65inlosangeles

Rick65inlosangeles

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX, 1986 Lincoln Mark VII, 1971 Lincoln Mark III, 1968 Mercury Park Lane Brougham

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:52 PM

It would be nice to know the logic behind the electrical system on our MKX’s.  

After it has set for a couple of days it forgets that the A/C should be on recirculating , also the lower front power port that powers my dash cam will shut down every time I turn the vehicle off.  If I drive the vehicle for forty minutes or so on the freeway everything works fine.   I can spend several days with the A/C on recirculating and the power port will stay powered for about an hour and a half.   

At one time I had a 2004 Ford Explorer with the in dash CD player where you loaded five CD’s.  The vehicle remembered that there were five CD’s loaded.  At one point the vehicle would start searching for the CD’s on every startup. Finally I thought maybe the battery was starting to fail even though everything else was fine. So I replaced the battery and that corrected the problem.

My MKX is due for service and I’m going to request that they do a load test on the battery and see if there are any issues. 

#35 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:53 PM

My battery was getting up there (5 years) so I had my local Ford garage do a load test on my battery, a couple of times. Both times they said it was ok.

Wasn't convinced so I bought a Solar BA-7 tester (as recommended by Macbwt in a post in the Ford Edge forum).

When I tested my battery with this device, it said I had one dead cell and that the battery was well under the rated CCA's. It showed it as being weak and failing.
But it started ok, everything worked ok, so I chose to believe the Ford garage and it's load tester. It failed two months later without warning.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about:

SOLAR BA7 100-1200 CCA Electronic Battery and System Tester https://www.amazon.c...a_iYYQybGJ8TX3W

This is more expensive version, it also tests the complete charging system in a separate test. There is a cheaper version (BA-5) that just tests the battery.

Edited by enigma-2, 20 February 2017 - 12:57 PM.

#36 ONLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 948 posts
  • LocationSuwanee, GA

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:56 PM

And THIS is why you can't trust the shops when they tell you it's ok.  They're obviously either not using the right equipment or not using it properly.

I also bought the Solar tester and a C-Tek charger/conditioner.   Very important since I sometimes go a few days between driving my Fusion.

#37 OFFLINE   fredluke

fredluke

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationOakville

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:41 AM

Well, I finally got my vehicle back Feb 17th. Dealer updated all the software again, checked for any current load on the battery while idle, checked the battery then left the vehicle for over a week in the shop and tested the battery and loads again. No fault found.

Had to fly back to Canada same day (family situation). Still here until end of Feb then we will fly back to California for the rest of the winter. I keep checking my app and so far no alerts for anything.

Note: I use my old iphone as an ipod and leave it plugged into the usb center console. The phone's battery is dead and usually takes 5-10 min of driving before it wakes up and plays music.  Now....that usb is only powered when the ignition is on. I'm wondering if somehow that usb wakes up when the vehicle is just sitting and begins to charge the phone because that phone will never reach a charge. It's not a heavy load but it is continuous. If the vehicle battery fails again, I will charge it, unplug the phone when ever I'm parked and see what happens.

• Timmer likes this

#38 OFFLINE   fredluke

fredluke

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationOakville

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:27 PM

Well I'm back in Cali and the battery is good.....fingers crossed!

On the other hand I have a minor issue that pooped up since the vehicle was last at the dealer for the battery. I will create a new topic and hopefully someone will know the answer.

#39 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:32 PM

I will create a new topic and hopefully someone will know the answer.

The answer is ..... 42
"Deep Thought"
  • Timmer likes this

#40 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationIndiana