Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKX Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of the Lincoln MKX Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo gallery and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tailgate Problems

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MKOVASS

MKOVASS

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:MKX 2016 Black Label
  • My MKX's Year:Decline

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:17 AM

Anyone reporting issues with the tailgate?  Last night i couldn't get the thing to close!  No matter the method used.  Foot, tailgate button or dash button.  Then i would manually close it, it would pop back open.   I noticed that there is a loud thump when it is released so maybe it isn't aligned right?   Dealer is going to pick it up and look at it.  Just picked the car up Friday!  Curious if anyone has seen reported issues on this.  Thank you.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationOregon & Pacific NW wonderland
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion, 2012 Veloster, 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Select plus
  • My MKX's Year:None

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:22 AM

You're the 1st to mention the issue. The electric locking actuator is either mechanically not functioning or the electric circuit has failed. My hatch locking mechanism also thumps loudly, both when releasing and locking. It appears to be a very hearty latch.

• MKOVASS likes this

#3 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:46 AM

Seems obvious but did you make sure there was nothing in the way of the latch?

• MKOVASS likes this

#4 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Lincoln MKX
  • My MKX's Year:2007-2010

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:08 PM

I have this happen all the time after grocery shopping. I use the cargo net and often place a too large sack of groceries in the net; causing it to put pressure on the hatch and popping it back open.

#5 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:10 PM

Then i would manually close it, it would pop back open. I noticed that there is a loud thump when it is released so maybe it isn't aligned right?

Sounds like alignment. Was the car on flat, level ground?

#6 OFFLINE   MKOVASS

MKOVASS

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:MKX 2016 Black Label

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:20 PM

Yes on level ground.  Nothing in the back but a small back pack.  Nothing blocking latch each time.   Going to play with it tonight.  See if there is a common occurrence of it happening a certain way.   Foot, remote or panel release.    Dealer picking it up tomorrow.

#7 OFFLINE   fredluke

fredluke

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationOakville
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:32 PM

The only issue I found with mine was it always pops back open when I walk away too far with fob before it cycles to close.

I now stay close until it closes. I assume that is a program feature to ensure you are aware the thing did close.

#8 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:11 PM

Hmmm...never had that happen. Approximately how far away do you have to be to have the re-opening occur?

That could be an expensive issue with me because when I drive into the garage, pop the hatch to recover items, and then walk into the house while simultaneously commanding both the hatch and garage door to close, a fully re-opened hatch would collide with a metal fixture on a closing garage door. That would result in a seriously damaged hatch.

Put another way, unless I adjust my hatch to not fully open, I am prohibited from opening the hatch when the garage door is closed. On one occasion during the early ownership days, I walked into the garage while remotely opening the hatch while the garage door was closed. Just as I neared the rear of the X as the hatch was still opening, I nearly panicked, frantically grabbing the hatch to stop its upward movement...the hatch stopped about 1/4 inch short of a collision.

• VisionPilot likes this

#9 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:22 PM

MKOVASS...after an examination of both my hood and hatch latches, I applied a thin smear of petroleum jelly on all the metal mating surfaces of the latch mechanisms. The lubrication seemed to facilitate opening & closing of the hood and hatch with less wear & tear on the devices.

#10 OFFLINE   shortspark

shortspark

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationEast Texas
  • Current Vehicle:ML 350

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:34 AM

Does the MKX have an adjustable stop memory?  My Mercedes ML350 had a similar problem about a week after I first got it and set the hatch memory to stop just shy of my overhead garage door brackets.  The Mercedes mechanic asked me if I manually opened and closed the hatch after setting the memory.  I told him I almost always did it that way rather than use the buttons.  He said that is the problem - once the memory is set the hatch must be opened and closed using the buttons on the hatch itself, driver door or the FOB button.  If the door is forced manually it screws up the set memory and the hatch "forgets" how and where to open, close and latch.  They replaced the right side shock which contains the memory.  Since then I have used the buttons to open and close the hatch and have experienced no problems.

#11 OFFLINE   Adam

Adam

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationEastern Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX

Posted 25 March 2016 - 06:11 AM

I don't believe there is any correlation between the fob distance and the door not closing properly.  I often let it close while I walk away (in the house, to return the shopping cart, etc.) and there's never been an issue.

IIRC you can set a different max height by pulling the door manually down after it has opened and then long-pressing the close button.

Sounds like a general latch problem to me, unless there is an issue with the pinch sensors.  I would try to unplug the battery for a while and see if the system would re-set.  FWIW mine closes and opens with 'authority'.

Current: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD, Reserve, Ingot Silver on Cappuccino, 21s, Luxury, Climate, Driver Assistance, Technology, Cargo Utility, Multi-contour, Adaptive Steering

Previous: 2016 MKX 2.7 AWD Reserve, Luxe on Ebony and 2013 MKX AWD, Elite, Ingot Silver on Light Stone

#12 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:03 AM

The only issue I found with mine was it always pops back open when I walk away too far with fob before it cycles to close.

I now stay close until it closes. I assume that is a program feature to ensure you are aware the thing did close.

Are you saying that you press close on your FOB, the hatch closes then reopens and then closes again?

There's no corrolation between the distance of the car and FOB except whether they are able to communicate or not.

The hatch is designed to reopen only if it detects a foreign object blocking the opening. If the hatch detects binding when closing, it will also reopen.

Never had mine reopen (bag of groceries) and the reclose. The purpose of reopening is to allow you to clear the problem.

Edited by enigma-2, 25 March 2016 - 11:04 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   Cosmos36

Cosmos36

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:22 PM

I spent a few spare minutes this afternoon setting up several hatch opening-closing scenarios to test its functioning...nothing out of the ordinary was noted and I'm satisfied that the entire system is functioning normally.

• VisionPilot likes this

#14 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:39 AM

Yes on level ground. Nothing in the back but a small back pack. Nothing blocking latch each time. Going to play with it tonight. See if there is a common occurrence of it happening a certain way. Foot, remote or panel release. Dealer picking it up tomorrow.

Was your dealer able to locate the problem?

#15 OFFLINE   fredluke

fredluke

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationOakville

Posted 26 March 2016 - 03:24 PM

Interesting posts...

Now I am wondering what is my software trying to accomplish.

From day one- I close the gate via foot or fob and stay within 8-10ft it closes perfectly assuming nothing is the path for the sensor to read.

Now, if I do the same thing and walk away from the vehicle (8-10 ft) the gate reverses. In other words if I walk away during the close cycle the gate will shut then reverse with all the chimes. If I get within that space everything works fine.

Please excuse my elderly brain cell for thinking this might be the reason....I thought for a moment and assumed if I had a child or dog was in the vehicle and I walked away assuming it would close automatically not knowing there was an obstruction or lock failure or whatever, I might have inadvertently left the gate open. So I questioned myself and assumed it must be a safety feature. If I closed the gate and began walking away not realizing there is an obstacle, bad lock, or whatever how would I know the gate closed?

Anyway, after reading the forum, it's obvious that is not the way it was designed. Appears I am the only one with this strange issue.

So, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. If not I will call Dave at the plant and ask him what is causing this? Then to my dealer back home when I leave California shortly. 

#16 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

MKX Member

• PipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationSuwanee, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:03 PM

Do you by chance have the other key fob in the vehicle when this happens?

#17 OFFLINE   fredluke

fredluke

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationOakville

Posted 27 March 2016 - 12:08 AM

Yes I do have the other fob in the vehicle. I always hide another key or fob in case I loose one.

But the one in the car is wrapped in aluminum foil twice to fend off the signals.

Having said that I think I will remove it and see how the gate reacts.

Thanks for that tip. Tomorrow I will test your suggestion

#18 OFFLINE   wbferrara

wbferrara

• MKX Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKX Reserve
  • My MKX's Year:2011-2014

Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:51 AM

Not sure it's related, but I have noted that the Welcome Experience (puddle light, etc) won't work when the car is in my garage. It works fine elsewhere and dealer couldn't find any associated fault code. I think this occurs because I have some wireless devices (pet barrier, network extender) pretty close by. I haven't yet experimented with turning them off, but I suspect there might be some interference in that setting.
Is your tailgate problem confined to one place (like your garage)?

#19 OFFLINE   NOTMY911

NOTMY911

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 27 March 2016 - 12:09 PM

Yes I do have the other fob in the vehicle. I always hide another key or fob in case I loose one.

But the one in the car is wrapped in aluminum foil twice to fend off the signals...

You might want to hide the FOB in one place and its battery in another place.

"NOTMY911":  2016 MKX Reserve 102A, Ingot Silver, 3.7 AWD, Driver Assistance Pck, Technology Pck, Climate Pck, 22 Way Seats, Sync 3  

"JJ 911SC":     1983 911 Cabriolet, Grand Prix White

#20 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

MKX Member

• MKX Member
  • PipPip
  • 532 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 27 March 2016 - 04:35 PM

Not sure it's related, but I have noted that the Welcome Experience (puddle light, etc) won't work when the car is in my garage. It works fine elsewhere and dealer couldn't find any associated fault code. I think this occurs because I have some wireless devices (pet barrier, network extender) pretty close by. I haven't yet experimented with turning them off, but I suspect there might be some interference in that setting.
Is your tailgate problem confined to one place (like your garage)?

Garage light on, making the sensor think it's still daylight?

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·